Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 42)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds pretty good cleome. Adding it to my Netflix list! thanks.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Last week I was unsurprisingly on a horror kick (see "Zombie Flicks" thread for the rest) and rented a film I'd read a lot of buzz about Drag Me to Hell. It's Sam Raimi's return to the horror genre and offers what you'd expect from him: a mix of humor and thrills. It's a lot of fun and offers Raimi's B-movie sensibility in droves. Everything is played straight but the humorous intent is pretty obvious.

Basically, an old, creepy gypsy woman puts a curse on a loan officer who turns her down for an extended grace period on her mortgage. But before the curse is put on, the two have a hilarious no-holds-barred knock-down/drag-out in the parking garage! That and follo-up scenes between the two are the lure of the movie, IMO.

I could kick myself for not spotting the switcheroo that set up the ending, though. It was set up beautifully!

So if you're in the mood for a little light B-movie fare with some genuine thrills amid the comedy, I'd highly recommend Drag Me to Hell!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Sounds pretty good cleome. Adding it to my Netflix list! thanks.

Let me know if you like it, Jorge. I always enjoy reading the reviews here. (There are two other parts to the "Vengeance Trilogy," but I haven't seen them yet. The stories have a common theme, but they aren't connected in any other way.)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Saw Whip It the other day. It's kind of like Rocky with an aspiring roller derby queen in the lead role. The performances were good, even if the plot didn't offer any big surprises. I did like the relationship between Bliss aka "Babe Ruthless" and her ex-beauty queen Mom. Also the fact that they didn't demonize the "older" (a whopping 31-year-old!) champion who resented that the heroine was a natural at something that she herself had spent years mastering.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
My wife is out of town and a buddy of mine and I went on a movie watching spree.

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. I liked it. I like them adapting a really good storyline and hope they continue to do so. Batman should've been knocked out a few times though. Didn't love the art.

Green Lantern: First Flight. Didn't care for the changes in the story but overall I did like the story. I've always been a Corps fan so I loved that they got serious screen time. Also didn't love the art.

When it comes to animation I'm a snob. After seeing some of those Japanese studious create something beautiful I'm a bit picky. I just think it appears to be low quality.

G.I. Joe. Horrible. Acting was terrible except for Sienna Miller ofcourse. The guy playing Duke talks like he's from the hood in every film he's in. I didn't care for the story. Did like the bad guys but I always have when it comes to Cobra.

Probably going to check Wolverine in the next few days.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm hoping to see 'Avatar' when it comes out.
The trailer is fantastic.

Trailers tell too much of the story, I think.
At least, in recent years.

But the special effects look incredible and the movie has Sigourney Weaver, which is almost always a draw for me.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

candle, i agree or they show all the action scenes or comedy scenes in the preview. Hate seeing a movie and all the best parts were in the preview.

I saw Wolverine. It was better than I thought (or heard). I did go in with low expectations. Some scenes were bad but for the most part I liked it. Schriber was an awesome Sabretooth.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought the complete series of FARSCAPE and have started from the beginning, instead of skipping around and watching the dozen or so episodes I never caught.

I've listened to a couple of commentaries, too.

Do those of you who pick up DVDs with audio commentaries listen to them? They're either really fascinating or great insomnia cures.

Maybe there ought to be a thread for DVDs people've bought but haven't watched yet. I've got a good stack of those!

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Commentaries are really hit or miss. The ones I've heard on the new Battlestar Galactica series were good.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Just saw Men of a Certain Age on TNT.
It's Monday's @ 10 pm.

I can't say enough good about the show!
Ray Romano and Scott Bakula and one of my favorite black actors, who's name I can never remember, darn it!

If you haven't seen it, do.
Funny, realistic, wonderful friendships.

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
I can't say enough good about the show!
Ray Romano and Scott Bakula and one of my favorite black actors, who's name I can never remember, darn it!

Andre Braugher, who more than a decade ago starred in Homicide: Life On the Street.

I agree: It's a funny and warm comedy about genuine relationships, not over the top as Everbody Loves Raymond could be.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Yes, Andre Braugher, thank-you.
[Smile]
His poor relationship with his father is already so rich with dimensions!

And Ray beating up the Hulk air toy because his life is out of control was incredible.

And Scott driving that car around the block!
Satisfaction for everyone in the world in that moment.

Oh, man.
sigh

--------------------

Come, join me!

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Reminds me of us -

-

--------------------

Come, join me!

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I watched Avatar over the weekend. I'm planning on posting a long and detailed review on my blog, but here's the short version:

The first three-quarters or so renewed my faith in the possibilities of cinema, but it comes undone at the end because a genre movie is only as good as its villains. I'd still recommend it, though.

[ December 23, 2009, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My review of "Avatar." Comments, either in this thread or on my blog, are welcome.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.