Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH #50 Spoilers (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  18  19  20   
Author Topic: LSH #50 Spoilers
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Frankly, I wish he'd be a little more partisan. What's the good of being the boss if you don't get a few perks? Like making sure the fans of the book you are most closely identified with creatively don't get treated so poorly.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, I finally got the issue and have to say.... HUH???

I read it, thought it was rather lame but kind of okayish compared to Waids lame-fest before, and then after reading it - by the way, sitting in the restroom, a very fitting place I guess [Smile] - I stood up, went to my collection, put it into the correct folder, stood there and then, suddenly, it struck me....

WHERE WAS PROJECTRA????????

I mean, #49 was a pretty good issue, building up to a major climax leaving Tinya severely injured and Imra brainwashed... and then... this???

It's really the ultimate infamy to dish out an issue like this which has actually nothing to do with most storyelements which came before. It's an infamy to the customers who spend 3 damn bucks on such a load of crap! It's the climax of infamies done by DC.

And this is saying a lot after the total and utter jibberish that Final Crisis was, but hey - that's Morrison and I just don't understand it as I am told - but this is the final straw. I don't know what to do with DC. I love the DCU and many of its creations, but how can I go on spending money on it when it's such an utter load of crap?

My conclusion: I'll only buy the Green Lantern books for the time being, and JSA - even though I'm skeptical on Johns leaving, but Willingham is a great writer to follow him.

Everything else has to go. No more "events", no more JLA, no more Titans - another crapfest - no more cool books of the month. I'm suddenly free to spend some money on interesting Indie books - thank you, Dan DiDio!!!!

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, lot of that going around.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimbor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grimbor   Email Grimbor         Edit/Delete Post     
I am totally disgusted after reading LSH 50.

The only plausible excuse I can get for TPTB ending the series the way they did was because they just didn't like what Shooter was doing to the characters in general. Primarily Imra, Garth, Jo and Projectra.

But then I think about other things that have happened over the years to even more beloved characters like Element Lad / Progenitor and I am not sure that theory holds water.

I guess it is all just speculation until Didio or someone from DC steps up to let the fans know what the hell happened.

I definitely feel like I have been slapped in the face with the way that story-arc and series ended. The quality story and art happening over in L3W isn't even enough to take away the sting.

I don't post on here very often, but I have been reading Legion for about 35 years. Been through the good and the bad. But I don't EVER remember having felt as cheated as I do now.

From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
That's consistent with the several interactions I've had with Paul Levitz. And this isn't meant to be a criticism of him, but:

it's possible that part of the reason why the Legion has been kicked around the way it has is because Paul Levitz, in an effort to be fair, doesn't do anything to protect it, even to the extent that he would try to protect one of DC's other franchises.

It makes sense. Moreover, his job these days is much less about "general book directions" and more about broad business ideas and schmaltzing. So I don't think Levitz would go that far down to personally kick around about one book. He supposedly hates 5YL and still supported it as far as I know.
And he is really a class act: I still have his letter with answers to my ridiculously badly written one (my English was not really strong back then), sent 19 years ago. All personally answered, there was no "bulk" stationary crap. That's probably why I never read a bad thing about Levitz.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it bothers him to know what has happened with the book, but I also think he is in a place where, even though he is one of the big bosses, he has more to think about than just one unhappy segment.

Everyone keeps saying that Dan Didio is a really nice guy...and that may be the problem. Nice guys get walked over. Even guys that just try to be decent and fair.

Sometimes, it takes an ahole to come in and light a fire under people. Shooter might have been hated at marvel, but the product came out on time. And, marvel did pretty well back then from what i understand.

To get things done, it takes a firm hand on the reigns.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
Ouch! Let's say this is the final nail in the coffin for my respect for Dan Didio as a manager. From CBR live coverage of DC Nation at NYCC:

- What happened to the end of Shooter's Legion of Super-Heroes? DiDio: We don't cover that. It was a pseudonym at the author's request. We cancelled the book, finished it and shoved it out the door. Thanks for asking that.

No, Dan, thank YOU for being so nice to us and to a pro like Shooter.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Painful, but oddly funny too.
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
The really bad thing about this whole thing is the same thing that was really bad about the end of the 5YL run. Missed oportunity for a balls to the wall anything goes story. I mean lets face it the chances of the 3Boot Legion being seen again after Legion of 3 Worlds is probably pretty slim, and for good reason. We all know that it is going to be Johns semi-classic version that is going to be back when all the dust settles, and I am happy about that.

But knowing that they could have gone wild with end of the 3boot and just blown the doors off the thing. Instead they gave us a patheitc ending that satisfied no one. Event he 3boot deserved better than this for a climax.

From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Question asked to Didio at the NYCC

- What happened to the end of Shooter's Legion of Super-Heroes? DiDio: We don't cover that. It was a pseudonym at the author's request. We cancelled the book, finished it and shoved it out the door. Thanks for asking that.

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
wait so.... shooter DID write it or DIDN'T? what... does that sentence mean? ;_; i'm not wearing my didio-decoder ring.

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
wait wait wait. reading this thread over...

so... if it's shooter or levitz's fault, we give them a pass and suddenly it's "man, we feel so much pity for them" but if it's NOT their fault, it's "THIS BOOK WAS HORRIBLE AND DAN DIDIO'S HORRIBLE AND SHOULD BE FIRED". wow.

again, i do not envy mr. didio's job.

--------------------

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by veryvery:
so... if it's shooter or levitz's fault, we give them a pass and suddenly it's "man, we feel so much pity for them" but if it's NOT their fault, it's "THIS BOOK WAS HORRIBLE AND DAN DIDIO'S HORRIBLE AND SHOULD BE FIRED". wow.

again, i do not envy mr. didio's job.[/QB]

No, I think it was horrible no matter who did it. And no matter what circumstances caused it (forgivable or not), it's still horrible.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by veryvery:
wait wait wait. reading this thread over...

again, i do not envy mr. didio's job.

There is no 'winning' an argument on the internet. You don't like Shooter (indeed, all of the 'shouting' suggests that you loathe him as a person). Other people don't. You support Dan Didio's choices to sensationalize the DCU by adding gratuitious events like what happened to Sue Dibney or Kyle Rayner's girlfriend, as well as the various slaughters and brutalizations of characters by Black Adam and Prime. Other people don't. As in all matters of taste, there is no right or wrong, and Dan Didio's choices have clearly appealed to a large chunk of the audience who think that Black Adam and Prime are total badasses because of all the teenaged girls they've punched to death. Good for them. That sort of thing turns me off, but if other people will pay money to buy that sort of stuff, then Dan Didio must be doing something right to move the DCU in that direction, even if I don't feel like that's really what I want to see in superhero comics.

Typing in all caps is the internet version of shouting. Shouting doesn't 'win' arguments either. From the amount of 'shouting' going on, it's obvious that you feel very, very strongly (pun intended!) that we should be nicer to Dan Didio and meaner to Jim Shooter, but the shouting isn't going to convince anyone to change their minds. Indeed, it's more likely to entrench them in the opposite mindset, just as shouting at someone in the real world is more likely to 'put their back up' and make them disagree with you on general principle.

Shooter's done plenty of assy things, particularly in his portrayal of some of the female Legionnaires, and his biggest defenders here (such as me) have pointed those times out and criticized him for it. Nobody in the industry is pure evil or unalloyed perfection, and I can list off some neat ideas that Rob Liefield has come up with, and some really lame ideas from the mind of Jack Kirby.

This messageboard is filled with people who stuff (characters, artwork, writers, storylines) that I don't like, or even actively dislike. That doesn't make them wrong, or give me license to shout at them for their differences of taste.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

no no, i'm just saying, let's spread the love and hate evenly and reasonably. if you read my very long winded, whiny, biblical length posts on shooter, i do mention the things i think he does well , he does have a talent for characterization and development, my problem is that he doesn't lend those talents to the female cast.

i see VERY little pity for didio, but plenty of forgiveness and pity for shooter and writers in general. it just sucks to me that when things are going great it's all about the writers and the artists, and when things are going bad, it must be editorial's bad. and i doubt as many people here even know the name of the actual editor heading this up (marts, btw). i don't see anyone going "down with marts" it's "down with didio". he's an easy target and i think we are all clever enough feel for EVERYONE that brings us the books we like.

dammit set, i will one day figure out a way to use "set" cleverly as a pun but it never fits in properly....

the caps are for emphasis, and in this case, an imitation of the obvious rancor felt by people for didio. i'm not trying to use shouting to win an argument, i'm trying to point out hypocritical behavior, and logical inconsistencies in order to prove my point.

--------------------

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.