Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH #50 Spoilers (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: LSH #50 Spoilers
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
The simplistic story-telling, teen crushes and upbeat ending reminded me of the Legion in the 31st Century book that was based on the cartoon.

I wonder if one of those writers wrote this story.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
If you guys are following this, doesn't it make sense that Legion #50, the crappiest issue ever, must be also returnable?

Moreover, as you can all see, DC is completely flip-flopping on Adventure Comics, on Superman, on everything related to the Superman books (and the Legion, its newest supporting characters, along with Krypto and 10k Kryptonians.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll keep it, unless I opt unload the whole run someday.

Legion on the Run at least had the death of Laurel issue as a poignant book-end (assuming one counts EoaE as a seperate event, as I do).

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, this book was soo bad it helped us make it into Lying in the Gutters.

Now we have a link to a link. [Smile]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
If you guys are following this, doesn't it make sense that Legion #50, the crappiest issue ever, must be also returnable?

Moreover, as you can all see, DC is completely flip-flopping on Adventure Comics, on Superman, on everything related to the Superman books (and the Legion, its newest supporting characters, along with Krypto and 10k Kryptonians.

Worse than that. It's 100,000 Kryptonians.

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
The simplistic story-telling, teen crushes and upbeat ending reminded me of the Legion in the 31st Century book that was based on the cartoon.

I wonder if one of those writers wrote this story.

I do not think so as on the whole that series was excellent, this issue however not so much.

As others have said this reads like committee writing or perhaps whoever did write the book was given very little time and the briefest of plot synopsis and did the best they could with the time and information they had. This would also explain the clearly rushed art.

If this is the case then perhaps DC left their name off it to take the blame away from the writer and deflect it on to Dan Didio (as recipient of all blame). This then would correlate with Keith Giffens claims that Dan Didio is willing to 'take one for the team' as it were regardless if he was responsible or not.

From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by insanelad:
I can draw very well indeed, but I doubt that I could do an issue of a comic book in the undoubtedly short deadline that this was pushed out in.

Really?
You could draw a comic?
And a good one?
Wowhooooo!
That's fantastic!
I mean that sincerely.
This is an impressive group sometimes!
We just never know who's hanging around!

(Love the Brainy SP avatar.)

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
[qb]But, that's not really the issue.
I thing 'someone' in power DIDN'T like what was being done to Projectra and Brin and Imra and Jo and Garth.
So that whole last issue that Shooter had planned, which would finish his trashing of them, was DROPPED.

That makes complete sense. If that was Levitz, I can't blame him. It was a mercy killing no matter how you slice it.
It doesn't, in my opinion and on logic. Shooter was hired based on a 16-issue proposal Mike Marts and Dan Didio must have approved. They knew what would happen. Point is: DC has no real idea on what they want or where they are going, and that's even more true with LSH. Adventure Comics was a last-minute idea thrown out into the wild and now they have no idea what to do with that. Simply put: DC decided to change Shooter's plans to the point he felt it was no longer his minimal idea for the book and he fortunately quit. Nobody in his own mind would use a real name on such piece of garbage.
From what I've read here and during the Shooter interview, Shooter had a major falling out with TPTB.
I just think there was a story related issue(s).
You can pitch whatever you want AND get it approved ~then make some intentional or even accidental story changes or additions along the way (remember those Asparagus people.)

It's just conjecture, but Shooter DOES have a big enough ego and the experience to do something like that.

He just didn't make much of an effort in the last couple of issues to bring things to a place where a satisphying conclusion could be reached in a last issue.
I think maybe that's way the last issue was shortened ~ the artist and writer couldn't get a longer one done at deadline.

This is all just me thinking about stuff, an idea or two thrown out there.
I certainly don't KNOW anything more than anyone else here.

I agree that DC can't keep their directions straight, though.

Kitson said that he and Waid were supposed to have Supergirl permanently in their control as part of the Legion.
I seem to remember him also saying it was TPTB who proposed it because they wanted to eliminate her from the mainstream DCU.
Then, someone must have come up with the New Krypton idea, or her book got more popular or something.
So, no more Supergirl, just like that.

Oh well.

Thanks for the comments, KS!
I just like Sizzle's look and youth and power potential ~ she might have turned into a dud.
I just felt I needed to say something positive about Shooter.
sigh

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

quote:
Originally posted by stuorstew:
If this is the case then perhaps DC left their name off it to take the blame away from the writer and deflect it on to Dan Didio (as recipient of all blame). This then would correlate with Keith Giffens claims that Dan Didio is willing to 'take one for the team' as it were regardless if he was responsible or not.

That's a very good point and very refreshing.
I don't disagree with everyone's dissatisfaction with Dido, but your point is fair, I think.

--------------------

Come, join me!

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I wish they would've just delayed the issue and produced a better product. It's not like they've never missed a deadline before. This issue was hardly worthy of being haled as the final issue of the Legion's 50th anniversary celebration.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

yah.
[Frown]

--------------------

Come, join me!

insanelad
single

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insanelad   Email insanelad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
quote:
Originally posted by insanelad:
I can draw very well indeed, but I doubt that I could do an issue of a comic book in the undoubtedly short deadline that this was pushed out in.

Really?
You could draw a comic?
And a good one?
Wowhooooo!
That's fantastic!
I mean that sincerely.
This is an impressive group sometimes!
We just never know who's hanging around!

(Love the Brainy SP avatar.)

Yes, I could draw a comic, but not very speedily! lol That would take practice and fewer committments than I have at the moment! There's a reason these guys do it for a living!
I did do an issue of a comic a friend wrote, but nothing ever cam of it : ( I was looking at the artwork recently and got all nostalgic!

I've often wondered about getting into the industry, but I worry about having to churn stuff out, and not your own stuff, whether I'd lose my joy of drawing... grass is always greener ; )

From: Kent | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Variation on a theme. I didn't think it deserved its own thread, but...

I sent an email to Paul Levitz, short and to the point, about how disappointed we were as fans and that a group with such history deserved better. I put a link to this thread in the email.

He replied! He said he appreciated my concerns and that he has "a hard time being objective about the Legion since my own long affiliation" but that he would pass my/our concerns along to the editors.

Only problem is, since it is a defunct book, will it do any good?

I do appreciate the class he showed in replying, however.

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Arm Fall Off Boy...very nice. Classy.

And while i didn't expect a reply from Mr. Levitz to you, that just shows how classy he is as well. Just wish some of the class that the former creators and the fans here show would end up on the regular book page.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
That's consistent with the several interactions I've had with Paul Levitz. And this isn't meant to be a criticism of him, but:

it's possible that part of the reason why the Legion has been kicked around the way it has is because Paul Levitz, in an effort to be fair, doesn't do anything to protect it, even to the extent that he would try to protect one of DC's other franchises.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.