Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH #50 Spoilers (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: LSH #50 Spoilers
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, well . . . I enjoyed most of the Reboot and absolutely hated some of the basics of 3boot and almost all of Shooter's run.

But, that's not really the issue.
I thing 'someone' in power DIDN'T like what was being done to Projectra and Brin and Imra and Jo and Garth.
So that whole last issue that Shooter had planned, which would finish his trashing of them, was DROPPED.

At the least, the idea of a Legionnaire 'going bad' is trite. We've already had Cos as the Trapper and EL as the Progenitor.

Trite and not worth the destruction of those two characters.
Even Imra, Garth and Jo has been done before!

We've even seen two of the four candidates before.
Gazelle is a mediocre hero, who's probably a bad guy in Shooters over all plan, for all we know.
Sizzle was the only really interesting one.

And the planet rippers weren't that much different from DnA's first bad people.
The ending was at least a tiny bit original with a virtual race, although they looked and acted a LOT like Terry Pratchett's elves.

I'm with Sketch ~ the final story art wasn't that bad, I got it Saturday. Lindsay is the inker and he inked fjm so I could see some carry over in the art.

The story wasn't very good but the whole story arc wasn't set up for it to be very good, even though it was shortened.

I think Levitz has a very strong caring for the Legion and he's stepped in before.
I think Shooter was going to trash too many characters and DC decided they didn't want his contribution after all.
Just my point of view.

As to Johns, I hope he loves the Legion.
I hope we see Sizzle and XS and Gates and Umbra in the new Legion.
I'd enjoy Supergirl, too.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Casaloki
Senior Officer Science Police Germany-Asteroid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casaloki           Edit/Delete Post     
Just bought it here at my local Comics Dealer in Germany. Oh dear, they should not write "Final issue" but "Don't touch this" on the cover. This is not just a funeral for the Legion, it's like Final Crisis happend not only to the monitors. That's how you end this forever. What a pitty. How will you ever find a new genration of readers and loyal fans with this? You must imagine: There is this Legion on TV, you have never heard of them and go to the local comic store to see, what the buzz is all about. And then you find this crap.
DC did everything wrong with this Legion-run, but they did one thing right for sure: No one will ever want to read this again. My only hope is Lo3w.

From: van Allan Belt | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Nice Blog, by the way.

Thanks. Stop by anytime.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
After finishing #50 this weekend, I am in general agreement with the majority of posters here. This issue left me with a confirmed opinion that TPTB consider this Legion run as an afterthought compared to its other titles. The choice to cut the series short by four issues led to a terribly unrewarding finish to the run.

I am committed to seeing the end to the Lo3W (if it ever happens), and I want to try REBELS, but the Legion #50 "conclusion" has already determined that I will NOT follow Adventure, or any of the Mon-El appearances in the Superman titles. Along with the Final Crisis confusion, the lack of any commitment towards this past Legion title has decided for me that I will scale back my interest in purchasing DC comics. I've just plain lost interest - the entertainment content has just not been worth the Three Bucks plus I've been shelling out.

I just went to my local library and took out the Watchmen graphic novel to re-read it before I see the movie.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
My review is up. Go ahead and tear into it.

Nice job.
You reminded me, in you 2 panels, what I DID like about 3boot.

I liked the involvement of kids in general.

I hated that their parents were all in some conspiricy to keep them in the house and were willing to kill them if they didn't agree.

I have always thought that the idea of kids getting together because they're more accepting of differences than adults is probably fairly sound.
What I don't buy is that parents, by definition, are the enemy.

Since I was willing to go with the idea of kids working together better, the fighting between legionnaires was just unacceptable to me.

The orignal L.E.G.I.O.N. dynamics that Waid and Kitson created ~ Brainic on one side and everyone else struggling to contain his ambitions, just didn't work for me, here.

Anyway, thanks for the blog and art.
I hope you CAN come up with a story that works for everyone.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I loved Kitson's artwork. Otherwise, this series pretty much sucked through and through. Next!

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
There was nothing wrong with the Waid/Kitson run (except for those items mentioned before (ie: the two seperate camps led by Briany and Cos and the "eat it grandpa" ideology) but let's be honest, Waid was just starting to get his feet wet when the DC powers wanted to slow things down with the whole Dominators plot line and then the Supergirl inclusion which made the series lose its focus a whole lot. That's when the problems began. Given time we would have seen the seeds Waid had planted see fruition, but he probably saw the writing on the wall (this project was no longer his to have his creative freedom with as promised) and so he left (with Kitson).
My problem with Shooter's run was that he completely turned away from what was done so far and just decided to do his own thing. That's fine, that was his creative choice, but doing that changed the characters and back-story so much that it wasn't the same comic anymore.
That made all of our heads spin in mass confusion, and things just sort of spiraled downward from there (in my opinion).
Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoyed the new story Shooter was telling towards the end there, but it had become a different book altogether!

I felt Waid and Kitson's version was a breath of fresh air and a unique spin on what had been done before. Their Legion wasn't just the future's Justice League but a whole new group with different agendas and beliefs as well as the heroism that each character showed despite which camp (or leader) they leaned toward.
This was an innovative approach to telling the Legion's story that I dare any future writers of the series to match.
I really can't see that happening.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
But, that's not really the issue.
I thing 'someone' in power DIDN'T like what was being done to Projectra and Brin and Imra and Jo and Garth.
So that whole last issue that Shooter had planned, which would finish his trashing of them, was DROPPED.

That makes complete sense. If that was Levitz, I can't blame him. It was a mercy killing no matter how you slice it.

quote:
At the least, the idea of a Legionnaire 'going bad' is trite. We've already had Cos as the Trapper and EL as the Progenitor...

Even Imra, Garth and Jo has been done before!

...And the planet rippers weren't that much different from DnA's first bad people.

Good points. Wonder how much of Shooter has even read of the intervening years.

quote:
Sizzle was the only really interesting one.

She had potential, but I didn't see enough to even say that much about her.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Well, now that I've had a chance to reread it.

lol, just joking.

I didn't reread it.

[LOL]

That literally made me laugh out loud.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Future King, Waid started drifting off track as early as #4, and completely blew it by the conclusion of the Lemnos arc, well before Supergirl or the Dominators. Don't forget how he also squandered the momentum of the "Wanderers"/LSV, too. I cannot absolve him of too much.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
quote:
[qb]But, that's not really the issue.

That makes complete sense. If that was Levitz, I can't blame him. It was a mercy killing no matter how you slice it.
It doesn't, in my opinion and on logic. Shooter was hired based on a 16-issue proposal Mike Marts and Dan Didio must have approved. They knew what would happen. Point is: DC has no real idea on what they want or where they are going, and that's even more true with LSH. Adventure Comics was a last-minute idea thrown out into the wild and now they have no idea what to do with that. Simply put: DC decided to change Shooter's plans to the point he felt it was no longer his minimal idea for the book and he fortunately quit. Nobody in his own mind would use a real name on such piece of garbage.
From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I didn't see the original proposal, nor do I know how much Shooter deviated (by choice or not).

Even if Shooter was following the proposal verbatim, there is often a difference between concept and execution. People can look at words on a page and envision completely different things.

I am not aware that approval of a proposal equals carte blanche control over a book. Like it or not, owners/editors always have final say, and the right to change thier minds. It's their book and thier characters.

"In the tiger's lair, justice belongs to the tiger" (Archie Goodwin).

But I will agree that DC seems to be changing its mind a lot lately, regardless of whether Levitz intervened or not.

Gaseous Lad
Harbinger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaseous Lad   Email Gaseous Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow.

I stopped buying this several months ago. I'm glad with my decision, but I'm sorry to see that things got worse with Shooter's run before this disaster. I'd always hoped that there would be a decent resolve that would give me an excuse to pick up the back issues.

I'm also sad that this was a waste of time for the last several years. I really enjoyed the reboot at certain times (I also was bored by it at certain times, but I have more fond memories than not). And given the toilet-flushing Waid and the PTB gave them, I held a lot of interest in the initial Waid/Kitson run.

Oh well...

From: Maryland | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I liked the alien invaders, their look and their virtual planet. Brainy with blasters. Brainy under the forcefield, programming away, with monsters crawling all over it.

Why Brainy didn't put a forcefield over the whole room, to protect himself and the other legionnaires, who knows. Maybe his forcefield doesn't extend that far in this version, even if he can program it into the virtual world.

The Gazelle-Invisible Kid thing was awful, unnecessary. Those panels could have been used to explain what happened with Projectra, either resolved (in flashback) or make it clear that she and her threats are on hold until the aliens are dealt with.

FJM's wraparound cover was great. We even got a variety of different invaders - a female, a sea-creature type, a lizard-guy type, an insect-type - which we sadly never got to see in action. I loved the battle on the bridge idea. Two opposing ideas meet on a bridge to fight it out. A classic symbolic concept.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insanelad
single

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insanelad   Email insanelad         Edit/Delete Post     
After putting it off for a few days, I read it today, and while it could have been worse, this was a lackluster effort all round I think.

Virtual aliens: looked like pink versions of the Kaminoans from Attack of the Clones.

Clones: glossed over, deus ex macchina badly done.

Attck on the Virtual-verse: why sned Gazelle? Why send Invisible Kid? Why send Atom Girl? Hardly power-players. It just didn't make sense, other than the Gazelle/Lyle nonesense. (My, she's a fickle girl!)

I'll add my voice to the no Projectra, Brin, Tinya resolution.

This was almost a non-resolution. It was just bad. Not even bad enough to be good. Not even in a Silver Age simplistic way. It was just poor. If multiple invader planets had just appeared, why wasn't the system/galaxy collapsing due to the gravity effects? No reference to that at all!

I think one of the (many) problems with this issue was that it just compared *really* badly against other books. Readers today are more eductated and more visually aware - this didn't pass mustard on many levels.
The art wasn't *that* bad, but it was inconsistent. I can draw very well indeed, but I doubt that I could do an issue of a comic book in the undoubtedly short deadline that this was pushed out in. But neither was it up to the levels that we th audience expect in a regular issue, let alone a final issue.
The dialogue was awful, even I was nodding off at the beginning. I know that was the point, Brainy was being dull, but comic books are supposed to be EXCITING. This was just a little dull from start to finish.

As I've said before, the Legion means a lot to me, I have a strong emotional tie to it, it helped me through rough times with simple, enjoyable escapism and a snese of belonging. This issue was far, far from that. I didn't mind the 3Boot, it was far from perfect, but at least I got my Legion fix. This denied me even that. I've enjoyed all the other versions, but I think this is the first time I can honestly say I disliked the book.

Shame on you DC for publishing this.

From: Kent | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.