Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion on Smallville (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Legion on Smallville
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
i've always said win-ath too! i still prefer win-ath.

and i noticed chloe's make up getting darker and darker...i thought she was gonna end up green (ish) at the end of the episode.

now that i'm thinking about it, some of those old adv stories were kinda fracked up. a good amount of people died (maybe more so than current eras), some stories were just bizarre, they fought in wars, exorcisms etc....(they were drawn so innocently that it took the edge off though, no gore)

maybe its not SOOOOO out there to think of them going to defcon one so quickly. but i doubt the writers were thinking of this as they wrote...probably were just writing for effect. (but the characters were mainly true to type)

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
ooo Legion Smallville is number 5 on the top tv episodes on itunes right now! can't hurt for a legion comeback.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
secretly?! secretly, i hope to one day write the legion. *gross, i know*. but in order to get around the "winath" pronunciation thing i would say that... winathi could easily be an inflected language!! so... pronounced differently for different purposes in a sentence!!

ANYWAYS THAT'S WHAT I WAS IMMEDIATELY THINKING WHEN HE PRONOUNCED IT THAT WAY. *suicide from nerd shame*

the word 'superheroes" is reeeeeallly embarrassing to me so i prefer the non-OSH part of LOSH. not so bad in print but hearing it verbalized is like "OHHH GOD". anything to lure more people to the legion-nerd side!! COME TO ME, NEW FANS!!

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
very very, no need to be offin' yerself from a nerdgasm. Enjoy your nerdhood. Celibrate it.

after all, now many "nerds" grow up to have successful careers later on when they are old enough to appreciate it, while "legions" of high school cool kids and jocks go on to ignominious fade-outs in real life.

Be proud of who you are. If legion makes you squee, enjoy.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I've spent twenty years correcting the way people pronounce "Orygun." Before that, I was the person everyone who already lived here had to correct.

That's life, I guess. :/

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:

The Legion willing to kill was unacceptable to me. You guys are way too forgiving. Even Quis came up with a more creative angsty way of providing tension. (I know it was so Clark would be the one to provide Legion Code No. 1 and all that, but they could have been more creative without violating the characters.)

It may be the least discussed open Legion secret of the Silver Age: Click Here For A SpoilerAlthough he did it to save the life of the girl he loved, along with the lives of all the rest of his Legion friends, Lightning Lad DID KILL Zaryan the Conqueror. Subsequently, Garth Ranzz never suffered any ramifications for his justifiable actions. Therefore, originally, the Legion Code did sanction killing when unavoidable (however, it could have been argued that since the Legion Leader had just suspended him for a month, Garth was acting on his own accord and not as a Legionnaire).

Thus their reaction to this aspect of the plot was not too troubling nor out of character for the Legionnaires. Overall, the xenophobia angle seemed more out of place. Still, it was highly entertaining and inspires hope for a Legion spin-off...

[ January 18, 2009, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Korbal ]

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evolution Has Failed
Two more armpits than Atmos!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evolution Has Failed   Email Evolution Has Failed         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:

I wish Garth had mentioned Ayla by name so that one could be settled once and for all. I say Eh-lah not Eye-lah.

If you count the cartoon, they had a whole episode focused on Ayla, pronounced as you say it: "Eh-la" instead of "Eye-la".

--------------------
"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

From: Old Lyme, CT | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
I found it to be an enjoyable hour on the whole. Not perfect, but I expect I will watch it again.

The big question in my mind after watching was "How exactly did Brainiac's defeat become such a famous event?" Do people remember being taken over? I don't watch Smallville, but it was clear that Clark is not a public figure - he doesn't yet wear a costume, his status as a superhuman is not widely known. Is Brainiac's existence publicly known within the Smallvilleverse?
So, my beef is that the consequences (for anyone beyond the principals) of the events of this story have been completely ignored. Perhaps something will be done with this in subsequent episodes, but I'm not likely to be watching.

One more thing: the Legionnaires did end up changing history. When they arrived, they said that Clark was supposed to defeat Brainiac by sending it into the Phantom Zone; but at the end, they took Brainiac with them to the 31st century!

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longevity Lad
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longevity Lad   Email Longevity Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I want to credit some of the directorial decisions we saw (Mr. Johns could be responsible for some of these as well; the roles of director and writer do often mesh on the set).
Opening establishing shot tips the entire ep via the wedding banner(a very Shakespearean way to begin, e.g. Hamlet). No banter twixt Kal and the Persuader made the action seem more severe. The first hint of the Legionnaires being on TV at last is NOT the expected head or group shot but rather a visualization of one of the heroes' powers! And the focus going straight to the ring on Cos' hand was brilliantly fan-firendly-tastic!
Note in the first formal appearance that the scene is shot such that we are looking UP to the Legion members from Clark's perspective, which I took as a subtle homage to events in the comics.
The action count roughly mirrors what we got in the Adv. series: twice using powers for battle and once in a humanitarian effort;(Garth "throws" bolts while Cos "shapes" the magetic fields and Imra gives the obligatory "salute to the temple." )
We even got a brief glimpse of the three aloft and the ground-level shot of boots meeting turf was an effective way to simulate them landing within the constraints of a "no flights" budget policy.
They exited in a flare of nostalgia and notice that they were all looking up. Very nice!
I found it an excellent effort that reflected a great deal of care for the fans of the Legion in all their scenes. Long Live the Legion indeed!

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the Legion episode.
Imra and Rokk, very good.
But Garth.....Can you imagine Ayla with his face?

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
I like the Legion episode.
Imra and Rokk, very good.
But Garth.....Can you imagine Ayla with his face?

sure can imagine - look at Ginny Wheatley - cute and spunky girl in Harry Potter - perfect for Ayla! [Love]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
This makes me really like Rokk. Probably my favourite portrayal of him yet. This whole episode came off better than I expected.

DC should have re-issued the Legion ring to go with this episode. It looked really cool throughout.

It seemed to imply that Earthlings have some superior respect for life that's absent from other planets' races, even in the 31st century. I'm all for Yay Earth! but this seemed sort of contributing to the xenophobia.

Next Legion episode - Brainiac 5 is a must!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
It seemed to imply that Earthlings have some superior respect for life that's absent from other planets' races, even in the 31st century. I'm all for Yay Earth! but this seemed sort of contributing to the xenophobia.

The bit about 'they didn't have human parents' thing did fall a bit flat for me.

Yes, I know that *specifically* the Kents were awesome and it makes sense in that context. But that's not what was said in that line. What was said was that human parents were better than Braalian, Winathian or Titanian parents.

I take it as just a clunky line, and in my head convert it to praise for how the Kents raised Clark, not a slam at Titan-mom or Winath-dad.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
very very, no need to be offin' yerself from a nerdgasm. Enjoy your nerdhood. Celibrate it.

rick,

I totally misread your comment. I thought you told vv to "Celibate" nerdhood. I almost laughed outloud until I reread the line and realized my mistake. [LOL]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lm8
In Stasis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lm8   Author's Homepage   Email lm8         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
The bit about 'they didn't have human parents' thing did fall a bit flat for me.

Yes, I know that *specifically* the Kents were awesome and it makes sense in that context. But that's not what was said in that line. What was said was that human parents were better than Braalian, Winathian or Titanian parents.

I took it as, here were a group of teenagers with no parents. They were off as members of the Legion with no parental guidance. How would Clark and friends in Smallville know they had families of their own back in the 31st century? Clark didn't usually run off on missions (of his choosing) when he was in high school (in Smallville version anyway). I guess they assumed the Legion members wouldn't be off doing dangerous work if they were living at home with parents as their parents would be more protective of them.
Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.