Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised) (Page 18)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised)
TimeTrapR
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimeTrapR           Edit/Delete Post     
"It's also plausible that the Time Trapper can reference retconned-away events."

It seems that would be the nature of his power. Yet by mere mention of it creates knowledge of his power and the events that took place. How or if they have any effect on present Legion time is something that hasnt been revealed to us. However in this case there is more reference to it actually taking place then of any retcon.
I think the same sort of thinking here applies to the notion that Anti-Lad helped Superboy join the Legion in the first place. [Smile]

Could he have been an unknown pawn of the Time Trapper?

Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
One of my favorite super-villains of all time, Per Degaton, is also a time-traveler. He is aware of events that happened Pre-Crisis of Infinite Earths. I have read it explained nicely that all futures of Per Degaton are like petals on a flower, whereas the normal timeline is a stem. It might even be safe to say that the future is predetermined, based on the Einsteinian principle that time is simultaneous (you can learn more than philosophy from reading Watchmen). In the DCU this is compounded by the fact that amateur time-travelers like the Legion of Super-Heroes don't routinely mess up the timeline.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by TimeTrapR:
[Point being that is subjective. Without any 5 Year Gap knowledge we are kept with dangling plot line. A cliff hanger. Drama over a flatline. But not solid death. It would seem inaccurate to call it dead, Jim. E

You have set your standards so high that it becomes impossible to call anything in comics a death. I can come up with a scenario for any death where the character isn't really dead and the event that seems to kill the character really doesn't.

If his heart stops and everyone acts as though that means he's dead, he's dead. The death can later be retconned away, but the mere possibility that it will be doesn't mean it isn't a death.

Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks to quantum uncertainty gobbledigook and the observer effect, I'm coming to appreciate the idea that 'time' is a series of bubbles of perceived reality, more or less floating in the same bathtub. If somebody over there in the 21st century bubble changes something, that's gonna affect their bubble, maybe, for awhile, but have no bearing at all on my 31st century bubble, where I still remember the 'original' past just fine.

Superboy existed. Then he didn't exist and was mandated to have never existed, and the Legion went to hell for awhile. Now he exists again, and was a Legionnaire, to boot.

If the Time Trapper is the excuse for why 21st century 'events' (that are gonna be retconned out of existence 1d10 years from now anyway) aren't even remotely relevant to the 31st century Legion, then I'm good with that.

Go, Time Trapper!

Really, the basic 'rule' of time travel is that if a time traveller *can* change the past, and time travel could ever actually occur, then, logically, at some point in the future, it *is* going to occur, and the past has already been messed up an infinite amount of times anyway by time travellers from the future, so, relax, the mere possibility that it *could* be broken, means that it already *has* been broken, more times than you can conceive of.

It's horribly circular and incestuous and pretty much irrelevancies itself in a puff of logic.

There's really no middle ground. Either time travel can't happen, or it can happen, but nothing can be changed, or the universe has already been changed a zillion times by time travellers from the far, far, future, and any attempt at unravelling the damage and figuring out what 'really happened' or what was 'supposed' to happen is pretty much a Sisyphean task.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTrapR
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
quote:
[Point being that is subjective. Without any 5 Year Gap knowledge we are kept with dangling plot line. A cliff hanger. Drama over a flatline. But not solid death. It would seem inaccurate to call it dead, Jim. E

You have set your standards so high that it becomes impossible to call anything in comics a death. I can come up with a scenario for any death where the character isn't really dead and the event that seems to kill the character really doesn't.

If his heart stops and everyone acts as though that means he's dead, he's dead. The death can later be retconned away, but the mere possibility that it will be doesn't mean it isn't a death.

not trying to set high standards, actually im trying to simplify things to work through many years of belief based on what Giffen set up in the 5YG.
All we saw was a flat line and Shady crying. No response from any other member, nothing..
Based on that alone and the picking up after Magic Wars there was no way of knowing if Mon-El truly had died.

[ April 27, 2011, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: TimeTrapR ]

Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Based on that alone and the picking up after Magic Wars there was no way of knowing if Mon-El truly had died.

There's no way of knowing whether *any* character, *ever* in comics has truly died.

If your standard for death is that it's not death if there's no way to know, then you're being unreasonable, because there's never a way to know.

gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*removed*

[ May 07, 2011, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Iam Legion ]

--------------------
gone

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Hold on, here. Let's stop and think about this a minute.

The whole "death of Mon-El" thing was a result of the Conspiracy.

The Conspiracy was a reaction to the death of Superboy, a character the Legionnaires shared literally hundreds of adventures with.

Now here's where current continuity comes in:

Superboy didn't die. He's now called Superman.

Thus, the Conspiracy never happened.

Thus, Mon-El didn't die.

How else can you possibly interpret it??

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
IAm Legion: That TV show's theories are rooted in physics. According the Newton's axioms (I just attended a lecture on Newton's Principia) matter is continuously in motion. That means everything in the universe moves; Einstein debunked Newton's concept of real space where nothing is moving. Einstein developed quantum mechanics, which is where we get theories such as parallel universes.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klar Ken T5477
The Future Superman of 2965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klar Ken T5477   Email Klar Ken T5477         Edit/Delete Post     
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2009/12/advc_5_dylux-6-copy.jpg

Superboy-Prime gets his powers back in Adventure Comics #4, and attacks DC Comics on Earth-Prime.

However, the writers have promised to leave him alone.

--------------------
"So different from the Original Superman of Krypton!"

Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTrapR
Applicant

quote:
quote:

There's no way of knowing whether *any* character, *ever* in comics has ever died.
Sure , generally speaking. But specifically in the case of Mon-El, his death in the pages of Legion of Super Heroes was not shown on panel nor was any reaction of that death shown by any other character in the book.
His death, or the cliffhanger moment of his flatline that was caused by a power failure, was continued in the NOW out of continuity 5 Year Later series.
*If* one chooses to cherry pick that little bit of "non" continuity as continuity then surely you can not ignore the fact that the Time Trapper was hiding out inside Mon-El's body ...which , by those standards Mon-El could very well still be.
But his death was shown in the 5 Year Gap. Which is not in continuity.
Let's not confuse facts with emotional attatchment especially in the daunting task of cataloging continuity errors.
Nothing printed ever has diminished the existence of the Pocket Universe. If so please...anyone point me to an issue number.

[ April 28, 2011, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: TimeTrapR ]

TimeTrapR
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by the Hermit:
Hold on, here. Let's stop and think about this a minute.

The whole "death of Mon-El" thing was a result of the Conspiracy.

The Conspiracy was a reaction to the death of Superboy, a character the Legionnaires shared literally hundreds of adventures with.

Now here's where current continuity comes in:

Superboy didn't die. He's now called Superman.

Thus, the Conspiracy never happened.

Thus, Mon-El didn't die.

How else can you possibly interpret it??

Current Superman met Superboy from the Pocket Universe
Current Superman after Infinte Crisis remembered that he too knew the Legion as a teen and shared adventures with them. Were these the same adventures? Did the parralell exisitence of both Superboy and Superman merge as those slices of time possibly merged after Infinite Crisis?
I'm sure these are the many anomalies and paradoxes Brainy contemplates as he looks back in time from the Time Institute . But one thing that won't change for us readers is that the deeper he looks in the more the REAL story will present itself from a 31st century perspective.
A perspective that exists where Time Travel and time machines are "common" place.
A place where cousins who don't know eachother in their own time can battle side by side with the Legion.
Seems the Rocky Horror Picture Show was right, "Time is fleeting Madness" indeed.

Ken Arromdee
Active

quote:
his death in the pages of Legion of Super Heroes was not shown on panel

By that reasoning, no death is "shown on panel". It's true that the flatline could be something other than a death. It's also true that any of the other things which are normally taken to mean death could be something other than a death. A flatline is no different from being decapitated or disintegrated or anything else--<i>any</i> of them look like death but could be explained by something else.
TimeTrapR
Applicant

quote:
quote:
his death in the pages of Legion of Super Heroes was not shown on panel

By that reasoning, no death is "shown on panel". It's true that the flatline could be something other than a death. It's also true that any of the other things which are normally taken to mean death could be something other than a death. A flatline is no different from being decapitated or disintegrated or anything else--<i>any</i> of them look like death but could be explained by something else.
Come on Ken, you really are gonna old school cut n paste out of context and reply to a general term that has nothing to do with the specifics that were presented? I feel like im trying to buy a used car.
And you are the self appointed chronicler of continuity?
All u have to do is read the book.
Unless all you are saying is that there are huge holes in the notion that *Mon-El* died pre 5YG, so much so that one has to go all abstract in their thinking to determine if he is dead or not.
Guess the truth might lie in the context....

the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
I think what's ultimately important here is the personal timeline of a character, in this case Mon-El. It's pretty obvious that the guy who is now Legion leader and Green Lantern did not die (I would think he would remember a thing like that).

Thus, as far as the characters we are currently reading the adventures of are concerned, the Conspiracy, death of Superboy and the Cosmic Boy miniseries (in which he met a Superman that treated him like a new kid in town) never happened.

Any other way of looking at it seems to me to be nothing more than an intellectual exercise with no bearing on current continuity.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.