Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised) (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  25  26  27   
Author Topic: The Complete Continuity Match-Up Checklist: from Baxter to Levitz Relaunch (revised)
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*removed*

[ May 07, 2011, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Iam Legion ]

--------------------
gone

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I think it still counts as the original Legion returned. I did list the mistakes in the board game, but I don't seriously think they're anything other than mistakes. The only real retcon in the board game is Death of Superboy/Conspiracy, and that retcon restores things which happened to the original Legion.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*removed*

[ May 07, 2011, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Iam Legion ]

--------------------
gone

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTrapR
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TimeTrapR           Edit/Delete Post     
"Sorry, No. This is the 'New Earth' version of the Legion."

Which is in fact the same Legion shown after Crisis.

"The Original Legion was from Silver Age Earth 1 and that Earth nolonger exists. "

No silly, that was retconned to be a Pocket Universe, all the while Legion was existing on ( New ) Earth. Unless you mean the SW6 Legion, they might have been from Earth-1

"And, instead of trying to make it closer to the Original, they intentionally make it more and more different"

I like how THEY make fun of themselves in making a up a silly brd game outlining the important stories from the Legion's past, although it was very frustrating trying to find a 6 sided dice and having to restart every once in awhile. It kept giving me sense of De Ja vu...
One of the things that bugged me was how they expected me to take them serious about Shrinking Violet, for example, she was kidnapped BEFORE The Great Darkness Saga yet the story took place revealing it almost a year later..WTF!?

"The entire 'Conspiracy' storyline happened after the first major retcon to LSH history (the 'Pocket Universe' storyline). So, No it did not happen to the Original Legion and is not a restoration of the Original Legion's history."

Back then it was called a RETCON. Plain and simple. Retcons werent sweeping changes creating "new versions" they were changes revealed to have been in place all along.

"Hi I'm Superman, I'm pretty popular. I've been around for such a long time and it seems every couple of months I remember things I never told you before... like for instance it just occured to me after being around for 10 years that I was also known as Superboy...and I had all these adventures before I became Superman!" --Superman, 1949, 10 years after his first appearance.
Poor kid would never had made it if the internet was around back then. [Wink]

Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Just about any title has a certain level of retconning and rewriting. We don't say that the 1960's Legion isn't the "original Legion" because Cosmic Boy doesn't have magnetic eyes. We don't say that the Legion with Star Boy having gravity powers isn't the "original Legion" because he started out with different powers and changed them with no explanation (until decades later).

It doesn't make any sense to say that in order for it to count as the original version there must be no changes.

gone
gone

*removed*

[ May 07, 2011, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Iam Legion ]

--------------------
gone

gone
gone

*removed*

[ May 07, 2011, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Iam Legion ]

--------------------
gone

Ken Arromdee
Active

Umm, this version does indeed have Brainy mourning Supergirl's death. We're seeing Supergirl earlier in her timeline, but in the Legion's timeline she's died, as far as they know.
gone
gone

*removed*

[ May 07, 2011, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Iam Legion ]

--------------------
gone

TimeTrapR
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by Iam Legion:
quote:
"Sorry, No. This is the 'New Earth' version of the Legion."

Which is in fact the same Legion shown after Crisis.

Not really. The post-CoIE Legion still had Laurel Kent as an academy member. Still Had Dev-Em as an occasional Aly. And still had Brainy mourning Supergirl's death in CoIE even though her origin (much like Power Girl and Donna Troy's) nolonger existed. This version has none of those and the current version of Supergirl didn't even exist until well after CoIE.
Well, it's all in how you see it. Superboy was from another Universe, there is nothing stating that Dev-Em isnt from THAT Universe's Krypton. Also, The Time Trapper was stopping the effects of Crisis in the future causing the Legion to still be aware of what occurred AND giving Brainy the time to mourn Supergirl.
It wasnt until Cosmic Boy went in to the past during Legends that the Legion realized Time Trappers plan or that they have been traveling to an alternate Earth.
Laurel Kent could have been still around, although she died being a Manhunter IF that series was a super success there may be reason to reference her again and in doing so we could find out who she descended from.

Imagine if Levitz had been allowed to make Sensor Girl , Supergirl like he had intended?

Considering that no one knew for so long who joined first, Supergirl or Superboy...I think it fun that despite what "really" happened the book still goes on and the Pocket Universe and it's ramifications will just have to be another conundrum that is part of Legion History. It gives a nod to the Legion's roots while allowing for whatever Post Infinite Madness is going on in the mainstream DCU.
9 issues and 1 Annual and Levitz seems to be carving out AGAIN his own part of the DCU.

quote:
It is it's own version based (rather loosely at times) on the original with elements from other versions thrown in.
We don't know that yet.
gone
gone

*removed*

[ May 07, 2011, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Iam Legion ]

--------------------
gone

gone
gone

*removed*

[ May 07, 2011, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Iam Legion ]

--------------------
gone

TimeTrapR
Applicant

quote:
[QB] Imperical evidence. The Original is gone. The current version tends to give a lot of nods to the Original, but has tossed in a couple of things like the throw-away refference to Dragonmage in Lo3W.

Any "nods" towards a character is intended for the reader and is not evidence that you are dealing with a "new" version of those characters whom have no notion of the "nod" with in the context of the story.
quote:
As for Dev-Em being from the PU Krypton... It could have gone that way.
Still could, heck, considering all the Kryptonians runing around on the NEW DCU, all of the old Dev-Em stuff CAN be BACK in continuity.

quote:
But it wasn't. The only other surrvivors from the PU Krypton were Krypto (depowered and likely dead when..) and the Phantom Zone criminals that destroyed all life on the PU Earth
Dev-Em went in to the Legion's future LONG before Superboy died.

The more I think about it the more I believe that this is the same Legion after the Magic War's and before the 5YL. And the more Levitz writes it as such the more it will be. [Wink]

TimeTrapR
Applicant

quote:
and with that I'll let it go and just agree to disagree. Many see it as the Original, but I do not. I didn't see the Earth 2 Superman or Batman as the originals either, just really close copies.

That's all good!
Ken Arromdee
Active

Edied for Blok's appearance and Glorith, as well as shortening the board game section.
  This topic comprises 27 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  25  26  27   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.