Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Monitor Board Symbols (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
While this project has focused mostly on the fictional aspects of the folks who have have been a part of the LMB, there have been a few times when that line has been blended, with aspects of real life creeping in. For this and the next wave, that real life aspect will be all too apparent, as we take a look at a few friends who have unfortunately passed on.

I debated on how inclusive I should make this section, initially deciding that I would feature just the three individuals who were most associated with the LMB aspect of the various boards where this group has resided. The more I thought about it, however, I decided that I would expand that selection to one other character (which will be included in the next wave) who - although he was an alt - was one of the more fully realized characters in the LMB story.

For this wave, however, I'd like to pay my respects to:

Looks That Kill Lad and Pagan Lass:

-
 -

Looks That Kill Lad was early member of the LMB who, unfortunately, I never got to "meet" online. Reading what others have written about him, however, I realized how deeply his loss to the community was felt. In his memorial thread, I read that his favorite book was "Lord of the Rings", a passage from which was read during his memorial. Accordingly, I was going to use a take on the "Eye of Sauron" for his symbol here, but thought it more appropriate to go with the more hopeful "Eye of Providence" seen in so many symbols to signify the aspect of watching over new endeavors.

Pagan Lass is, of course, the late wife of Abin Quank. Though she, herself, didn't often post on LW, leaving the story of her adventures in the capable hands of her husband, Abin has written in the past how much our fictional world delighted and amused her. For her symbol here, I've combined the traditional female symbol with two pagan symbols - the triple phased moon representing the aspects of the goddess and the pentacle, representing the balance of the five elements.

Up next: Hall of Heroes (Part II)

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Beautiful stuff Ex.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Of all the people that I've gotten to know on this board over the last three years, there is none that I've become acquainted with as poignantly as I have with the Yellow Kid.

I had seen him posting, both in his primary ID and in his alt, the Gay Green Giant, for about six months or so after I joined before really "meeting" him, but when I did so, in the midst of an LMB roleplay, I was just astounded at how creative he was... just a fount of remarkable ideas.

We worked fairly closely together throughout that roleplay, bouncing ideas back and forth. Sadly, however, it would be the last time I would have that opportunity... as he died in an accident just a few short months later.

That being said, since YK left us, I've probably become more familiar with his writing than I have with anyone else's... acting as a proxy to preserve the characters he created for the LMB wiki. I've written, I believe, about 15 or so articles for YK's characters and, in doing so, have come to such an appreciation for what a true talent was lost when Art passed.

So, in his memory, I wanted to create a symbol for at least the two main characters (of the many) in the Primary Color Gang:

The Gay Green Giant and The Yellow Kid:

-
 -

For YK himself, I used the silhouette of his inspiration, the original comic character, Richard F. Outcault's "The Yellow Kid". The intersecting circles springing from his mind are a color wheel representing the Red, Blue and Green components of YK's group, The Primary Color Gang. Beginning their careers initially as adversaries to the LMB, they very quickly became tight allies, fighting alongside them to the end. Though the Red and Blue components rotated through a wide number of characters throughout the years, the Green remained constant - Bob, The Gay Green Giant (sometimes called Triple G or just 3G).

That a character existed in the LMB universe that was a gay, green-skinned, drag queen who could grow to 100 feet tall is not remarkable in itself. That Bob should also be both an incredibly competent and sympathetic character... and merely have those traits be aspects of his character and not the full definition... and be completely accepted (and enjoyed) in a community that spans a wide variety of lifestyles... and be written by a someone who was straight... makes him, in my opinion, nothing short of a great character. There are a great number of professional writers who I feel could take a page or two from YK's book. For the design I used the transgender symbol, increased in scale to represent the "giant" aspect, enclosing a lip-sticked kiss.

Up next:

Well... for me, at least, it has really been the "Summer of Symbols". Over the past two months I've posted 149 "official" symbols, as well as several earlier versions of ones that were still evolving. All that's left to do... before I finish off with an even 150 and call it a wrap... is to stack up the chairs and sweep the place up.

If only there were an LMBer I could call to help me out with that...

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Whitelighter
Mistress of Micros

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whitelighter   Author's Homepage   Email Whitelighter         Edit/Delete Post     
Love these, very awesome!

--------------------
Lady Kat - The White Raven

From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
No way! Yet another example of Ex's awesomeness that I've missed until now!

Great work, Ex!

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Thanks, guys!

I swear I have one more in the hopper (as well as the final group shot), but I haven't had a lot of time this week to finish it up. This weekend, though (I actually set myself a deadline to wrap up this project before summer ended, looks like I'm taking that down to the wire. [Smile] )

--------------------

Exnihil

Drumroll.... aaaaaaaaaaand.... LMB Symbol #150!

For ketchup drip or coleslaw drop...
For carelessly spilled soda pop...
Let those who leave behind their slop...
Beware the power... of Abin's Mop!

-

Abin Quank, apart from being the Green Lantern ring-wielding patriarch of the ever-expanding Quank Clan, is, of course, also the Legion World janitor. I like to imagine the moment when he was given the ring, being told, "With this ring, your willpower can accomplish anything your mind can imagine," and then Abin thinking, "Yes! Finally I can get those stubborn scuffs off the HQ floor!"

For his symbol, I wanted to combine these two seemingly disparate ideas, when it occurred to me that someone who didn't give up his janitorial duties simply because he was granted supreme power would, of course, put the power battery to practical use... promptly fashioning it into a more appropriate tool of his trade. I'm not sure if it shows up at this scale, but the little "caution" symbol on the side of the bucket is also a GL logo.

Next up:

It's the fiiiiiinal Group Shot! Da-da, dum, dum... da-da, dum, dum, dum...

Ahem... sorry... Europe flashback there... but, yes: it's time to put all the pretty pictures in a row and bid farewell to this project... stay tuned...

--------------------

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
cant wait and i l be there!
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Ladies and gentlemen...

The Legion of Message Board Posters:

-
 -
 -

WHO'S WHO:

1. Abin Quank, Actor Lad, Arachne, Arm Fall Off Boy, Arms Fall Off Boy, Awkward Pause Boy, Beagle Boy (Beagz), Bicycle Repair Man

2. Blacula, Blockade Boy, Blue Battler, The Boy with Ultra Powers (Matt), Caliente, Cleome, Cobalt Kid

3. The Crusader, Crymsun Kid, Dedman, Dev-Em, Director Lad, Doctor Mayavale, Doctor One, Double Chinner

4. Drake B 3004, Enigma (C.J. Taylor), Eryk Davis Ester, Everyday Girl, Exnihil, Fanfic Lady, Faraway Lad

5. Fat Cramer, Ferro Boy, Floating Foxlike Creature, Freekinos (Freek'd Kid), Frio, Future, Future King, Gamara

6. Gary Concord, The Gay Green Giant (3G), The Ghost of Numf-El, Giant Robotic Lesbian, Gigglebot Girl, Grey Birdboy, Harbinger

7. He Who Wanders (LSHes), Helena Handbasket, High Priestess Viviane, Hot Chick (Kalla Hrykos), Hrun the Barbarian, Icefire, Invisible Brainiac, Jailbait Lass (Lolita)

8. Jerry, Jim Gallagher, Karie, Kenaustin, Kent Shakespeare, Kid Charlemagne, Kid Flash 2 Fan

9. Kid Marvel, Kid Prime, Kid Quislet, Kid Vudoo (rtvu2), Korbal, Krypton Kid, The Labradorian, Lad Boy

10. Lance's Realm, Language Arts Lad (Dave), Lard Lad, Lash Lad, Leap Year Lord (or Lass), l.e.g.i.o.nJOHN, Legion Reference File Lad (Chaim Mattis Keller)

11. Legion Tracker, Lightning Lad, l'il Rhino, Lonestar Ranger, Lone Wolf Legionnaire, Looks That Kill Lad, Loser Lad, Lucien Lad (Bevis)

12. Malvolio, Matlock, Matthew E, Mattropolis, Mechana, Minesurfer, Monkey Eater Lad

13. Mystery Lad, My Whee Fem. Nightcrawler, Nova Girl, Novelty, Omega Man, Omni Craig, Outdoor Miner

14. Pagan Lass, Paris Cub, Polar Boy, Portfolio Lad, Poverty Lad, Power Boy, Professor H-0011 (profh0011)

15. Quislet Esq., Raging Bull, Ram Boy, Reboot, Red Arrow, The Red Bee, Ricardo, Rickshaw

16. Rockhopper Lad, Rouge (Dave Hackett), Sam Pureheart, Sarcasm Kid, Saturn Girl, Seahorse, Semi-Transparent Fellow

17. Senor Widebottom. Set, Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass, Shark Lad, Sir Roy, Sketch Lad, Sonnie, Space Ranger

18. Space Tart, Spellbinder, Star Boy, Stoopid Cat, STU, Suddenly Seymour, Superboy MDD Jr.

19. Tamper Lad, Tempest, Thriftshop Debuntante, Timber Wolf, Time Teller Lad, Tromium, 235 Andy S, Ultra-Jorge

20. Varalent (Vee), Virgin Lad (Clive), Walk With Crowds, White Raven (Whitelighter), Xben, The Yellow Kid (YK), Zardi - The Eternal Man

--------------------

Whitelighter
Mistress of Micros

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whitelighter   Author's Homepage   Email Whitelighter         Edit/Delete Post     
Originally posted by Exnihil:
 -

When I saw that I had a logo in the big shot I had to go back through and look, I think I'm in love with both the full shot and the single. You really do fantastic work!! Thank you so much for this!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Lady Kat - The White Raven

From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Standing O.
Take a bow, Ex.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Bravisimo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Insert applause icon here. Wonderful work on each and every one, Ex. It makes a great display of your hard and creative work. I love the last one for Abin - genius.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Standing O.
Take a bow, Ex.

And another! "Ex"-cellent work!

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Bravo, Ex! You're creativity and talent are impressive!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.