Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Monitor Board Symbols (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Arms Fall Off Boy is hilarious. Love it!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
It rules !!! I keep staring at it ....

Whew! Thanks, Peebs.

I was actually pretty worried about that one. I kept doing it over and over, but wasn't sure I was conveying what I was trying to accomplish. So glad you like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Up next: Who are three LMBers who have never been in my kitchen?
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Well, me.

You have no idea how old this makes me feel to say this but, I think that reference might be before your time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botdmsQilnU

So, as yesterday's clue alluded to, up next we have three LMBers who, although they are quite prominent in LMB lore, I've never had the pleasure of "meeting" on line - Beagz (also Beagle Boy), Harbinger, and Spellbinder (Princess Crujectra):

-
 -
 -

The logos for Spellbinder and Beagz were actually created by Cru himself, with Crujectra's stylized "S" appearing as a brooch.

For Harbinger, I went to her fanfic story, Legion 35C, where she is described as a Naltorian seer. I didn't want to do a direct Dream Girl lift, so I went with the Greek "Psi' character to represent powers of a mental nature.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
For Harbinger, I went to her fanfic story, Legion 35C, where she is described as a Naltorian seer. I didn't want to do a direct Dream Girl lift, so I went with the Greek "Psi' character to represent powers of a mental nature.
Wow! Research Ex is research!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Absolutely, man. Nihil Productions is no slipshod outfit. [Smile]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Exnihil

OK... 70 down- Group Shot Time!

-

A couple revisions since last time:

- I scaled down the Interlac symbols for me and Varalent to appear less blocky when seen with the rest of them.
- I reduced Semi's symbol to match the similar one for Lad Boy, and also made the "transparent" section more symmetrical
- I fixed the borders on Saturn Girl and Shady
- I felt that Walk With Crowds was actually too crowded so I removed a couple of the figures and scaled the rest up
- I replaced Rocky's symbol with the more streamlined one that Sketchy had created.

I actually changed my mind on Rhino and am going to leave him as is.

Still to revise:

- I want to add a cloud element to Nighty's
- I've got to fix the center portion of Lash's whip
- I've got to straighten Novelty's (and perhaps make it larger)
- I'm going to redo Dedman's (I don't like the bottom portion at all)
- I'm going to see if I can fix the left part of Drakes (the shadow seems way too dark)
- I might redo Future King's (I was actually quite drunk that night and just trying to be clever)
- I did an alternate one for Candle by request, but I wanted to let her see it first before posting it.

--------------------

Exnihil

So why no "Next Up..." tag?

Well, because I see by that clock that it's time to start packing for San Diego. I'm Comic-Con bound, so this thread is going on hiatus for a week.

When I get back, though, full speed ahead filling in those gaps.

Coming up, we've got a certain Mr. Ester, Thriftshop Debutante, Outdoor Miner, Kent Shakespeare, Faraway Lad, those young un's Sarcasm Kid and Emily Sivana, a whole clan worth of Quanks... and lots more.

See you in a week. [Smile]

--------------------

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
have fun at SDCC!!! you deserve it! I am sure that you will be swarmed by Legion Worlders on your fantastic work here. [Smile]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

It's been a bit since I've done these, so let's start back with a couple simple ones to get back into the swing.

Today we have the ultra-powered LMBers: Ultra Jorge and Ultra Matt (also called the Boy with Ultra Powers):

-
 -

Both are just simple Legion/Interlac swipes (go easy on me... I'm still jet lagged [Wink] )

Up next: Hwaet! Ye Olde Thyme Mefsage Board Pofters.

--------------------

Exnihil

Tonight we travel back in time to three LMBers who would not have been out of place in Merrie Olde England: Kent Shakespeare, Lance's Realm and Malvolio:

-
 -
 -

For Kent, I wanted an appropriate image that reflected both his humor and the the sad fact that he left our board, so what better than the jester's skull from Hamlet? "Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him..." I also like how the shape of the eye sockets suggest the frame-less lenses of the actual Kent from 5YL.

Lance, who goes avatarless, I've represented in the past with the pilot character, "Lance" from "Voltron". Recently, however Sketchy did a sort of "Dragonslayer" take that I really dug, so here we've got a heraldic dragon with the lance hanging over him.

I don't know Malvolio, but I do know that his namesake character from "Twelfth Night" is known for the ruse that has him wind up wearing garters, so here, I've used a take on the crest of the "Knights of the Garter" minus the cross shield usually in the middle.

Next up: Arts and crafts

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
These are all so incredibly unusual and well thoughtout.
They give me goosebumps!

The Kent Shakespeare is perfect.
Absolutely professional quality.
[Yes]

[ July 28, 2011, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor Mayavale
Enlightened!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor Mayavale           Edit/Delete Post     
[Doctor Mayavale] is a huge fan of these monitor board symbols!

They will be very helpful in organizing information about all of my dear friends on Legion World!

--------------------
I LIKE IKE!!

Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh crap!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Luckily for me, old Doc M doesn't remember his incarnation several lifetimes ago when he, a wealthy Spanish nobleman, Don Octavio del Flores, commisioned poor artist Xavier Nahillo to design a symbol for his coat of arms. Nahillo, sworn enemy of the Spanish nobility, betrayed his patron by crafting a repugnant image of Spain being crushed beneath the boot heel of del Flores. Though the image amused del Flores himself (so much so that he laughed for a full hour) nevetheless, at the public unveiling, it sparked a riot during which he was stoned by the angry mob.

What shall I draw for Doc this time around? You will learn the answer to that most important query very shortly!

So, this time out we have three LMBers who have taken their Legion fandom to the next level, and crafted three of my favorite Legion related works that I've seen over the years. Respectively, they are the creators of The Legion Help File, an amazing set of Legion Statuettes and quite possibly the most erudite legion website out there, The Legion Abstract.

All three chose not to go with code names and instead joined the LMB as Chaim Mattis Keller, Jim Gallagher, and Matthew E(lsmlie):

-
 -
 -

Chaim is represented by an encyclopedia set, representing the massive amount of research he put into his Help File.

Jim is a block beginning to be carved by a hammer and chisel, the three shapes coming together in a stylized "G"

And Matthew is an interlac "E" done in the style similar to abstract artist Piet Mondrian.

Next up: I give a second go at an earlier symbol that didn't make the grade as we pay a visit to The Green of the 30th century.

[ August 24, 2011, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Ex, you do a damn FINE impression of old Doc M... Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Loving the symbols too [Big Grin]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I feel like I should put on a black beret while reading up on that last batch. Also, I'm suddenly craving Brie and crappy room-temperature Chardonnay.

[Wink]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.