Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Monitor Board Symbols (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
I see London, I see France, I see a place folks can really dance. Grab your passport, because it's time to pay a visit to our international LMBers: Faraway Lad, Paris Cub, and Ricardo:

-
 -
 -

Faraway is, of course, the LMB ambassador to the Court of St. James and those other, lesser, faraway places. For his symbol, I used a stylized version of UK coat of arms with, as they say, the lion and the unicorn fighting for the crown (dropping the center garter portion, which I had earlier used for Malvolio... hmmm... might be a story there). Their never ending battle takes place atop an Interlac "F".

I had the idea for Paris Cub for a while, but was looking for the right grouping to add him in. When I was looking for Kid Marvel's drawing of High Priestess Viviane a couple waves back, though, I ran across KM's Paris Cub drawing... same idea! I don't know whether I saw it a while ago and it just stuck with me subliminally... or if the idea of a bear in a beret is just too damn cute to pass up... but there you have it.

I don't run into Ricardo that often (he posts mostly about the Legion comics, which I seldom do) but I do know that he's from Sao Paulo, Brazil. I used the center portion of the Brazilian flag for his logo, and I think it came out really nice. That arc gives a nice 3-D quality. The only drawback is that one of the constellations in it, the Southern Cross, I used earlier for Karie, so now that's superseded. I might have to go back and do a different one for Karie.

Up next: The Tribe has spoken

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Paris Cub is adorable. I want to change my name to Paris Cub now.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Yep, it's a cutie!

I love the Faraway Lad fighting lion and unicorn design!
Those are complicated images, but they're crystal clear.

The only thing that I see might need a highlight is the horn on the unicorn, since they're magical and said in some stories, to glow on their own.
Just a thought.

[ August 26, 2011, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Candlelight ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

I see what you mean, Shady, that should be an easy touch up. I'll give it a go when I do the last group shot.

So, a couple of months after I started posting to Legion World, I staged a big game over in Spaceopoly called, Survivor: Marzal. At the time, hardly anyone knew me here, so - since they didn't know what they were getting into - I was able to dupe... er, convince... twelve posters to spend an entire month losing their minds.

Out of those twelve posters, nine are still active and had their symbols featured earlier, but the other three I haven't seen on LW much since. But, since they took a gamble on me when I was still making my bones, I'd be remiss if I didn't pay tribute to the other three Survivors:

Floating Foxlike Creature, Gamara, and Language Arts Lad (now Language Arts Dave):

-
 -
 -

For Foxy, I used a modified version of a T-shirt design I came across. I scaled him down a bit smaller than other symbols I've done, because, as a foxlike creature, he was just a little guy. Originally, I made the base of his tail a bit more evocative of an up arrow to indicate the "floating" part, but it wound up looking a bit too "taxidermic" and kind of skeeved me out a bit.

Gamara is pretty simple, a spiny turtle shell, after his namesake, the giant Japanese monster, Gamera. To get the armored effect, I used a few more layers than normal. Looking at this one, along with quite a few from the last 10 or so waves, I'm realizing that I've slowly gotten away from my initial intent of trying to keep these as simple as possible. Quite a few of the ones I've done over the past couple of weeks would actually be very impractical as actual monitor symbols, but... eh... whattya gonna do?

For L.A.D., I went the Rickshaw route of having an entirely Interlac symbol, in this case the IPA pronunciation for "Dave": ['deIv], as a reference to his "Language Arts" moniker. I just thank my stars that "Dave" has a fairly standard pronunciation, because I really didn't want to try to figure out the Interlac way of expressing "dental frictives" and "velar nasals" [Smile]

Up next: What the H?!?

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I love that Floating Foxlike message board symbol!
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:

-
 -

That would make an awesome wallpaper.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I love that Floating Foxlike message board symbol!

[Yes]
It, along with the rat catcher and the original rockhopper are my favorite of the animal symbols.

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Rat catcher? Hmmm... which do you mean, Shady? The Fat Cramer coffee cup one?

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

gads
No, the one above that's the first one in the second row from the bottom, just above Tromium.
sigh
It's not a rat?
[Roll Eyes]
Oh, it IS a rat, STU, to be exact.
I thought the tail was a type of trap but now that I know who it is, I can clearly see that it's a tail.
And a very nice one, too.
gads

--------------------

Come, join me!

Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
Great Thread EX! I wish I'd seen it before yesterday! I absolutely love the Quank Family symbols you've done so far and I can't wait to see what you come up with for Abin, Pagan Lass, Stoopid Cat, and Gary Concord.

One suggestion, Abin's symbol should comine a Power Ring with a Trash Can. He is after all the the Legion World Janitor...

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Thanks, Abin!

Your suggestion is not exactly the design I had for Abin... but very much on the right track. I should be posting that one by the end of next week and I think you'll be really pleased. Let me know what you think and, if after seeing it, you'd still like the trash can, I can do another, no problem.

Of the others, I was going to do one for Pagan Lass and Stoopid Cat, but was actually going to skip Gary Concord (because I don't quite understand his story). If you have time, though, could you pop over to THIS THREAD and clue me in?

So, today we have two LMBers whose symbols will, no doubt, be showing up shortly in the Legion World tattoo parlor:

Helena Handbasket and Hrun the Barbarian

-
 -

Helena is a former soldier of the Dark Oval who defected to the side of the LMB (losing an arm in the process). Her symbol here is a pretty literal translation, a handbasket on a pitchfork. The circle of flames I added after the fact because the center portion seemed a bit thin for the space it was in, and hey... a circle is a type of oval, right?

Hrun the Barbarian is the battle-hungry papa of Everyday Girl. For his symbol, I was originally going to use a double bladed axe (ala Conan), but again, went the route of better filling the space with two axes crossed. I experimented a bit with a shield in the middle, but as Barbarian shields are more rounded than sharp curved, it wound up looking a little too blocky and substantial. Besides... Hrun don't need no stinkin' shield!

Up next: It's Ladies Night... again...

--------------------

Exnihil

OK, playing catchup with a couple quick ones that I accidentally missed in previous waves. Two more lovely ladies join the ranks as we meet Mechana and Nova Girl:

-
 -

Though quite a few comic professionals pop onto our board, I think only Mechana (AKA colorist Ronda Pattison), by virtue of her posting frequency and her joining in on the big LMB meetup in 2008, has joined the ranks as an "official" LMBer. Though she uses the Futurama character, Bender, as her avatar, I felt that an Atomic Robo symbol would be more fitting, given her fantastic work on that book over the years.

I'm not that familiar with Nova Girl, but I do know that she was serving as co-deputy leader of the LMB when I first joined up. As her avatar logo is quite similar to the compass rose that I used earlier for Legion Tracker, I tried to differentiate her symbol, by opting for a take on the helmet symbol used by the female version of the Marvel character, Nova.

Since it's a bit slim this time out, I also want to add a bonus symbol - a "Take 2" for the earlier one I did for Karie. The first time out I just used a Southern Cross to symbolize her New Zealand origins, but - as I mentioned a few posts back - I felt this had been superseded by the one for Ricardo, which was inclusive of that constellation. But, then, someone reminded me that there was a more important constellation to Karie, her zodiac sign of Scorpio, so much so that she recently got it tattooed. Say no more... Karie, take 2:

-

Up next:

- Yes, sir.
- Yes,"sir"?
- "S," sir?
- Si, senor.

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

The robot is cool, the star is gorgeous and no one will mistake Karie's for anyone elses, ever.
[Yes]

--------------------

Come, join me!

Exnihil

Bit of a potpourri this time out, as I'm nearing the end of the "Summer of Symbols" and unifying themes are running a bit thin. Tonight, we're all over the map with two from the top 100, and two more from below, as we meet:

Leap Lear Lord, Senor Widebottom, Sir Roy, and 235 Andy S:

-
 -
 -
 -

For Leap Year Lord (Formerly Leap Year Lass - but that's an anagram of "Slay Laser Ape" and I'm sure no one wants that!) I was at a bit of a loss, so went with a pretty literal take - a leap over a calendar passing the 29th. If that leaper looks eerily familiar, don't worry about it, I'm sure a nice FTD pick-me-up bouquet will help that feeling pass. [Wink]

The natural symbol for Senor Widebottom would have been, of course, his trademark pair of comically oversized pantaloons, but I couldn't get that image to be evocative enough without some sort of pattern on the pants (and I'm not actually that adept enough in Photoshop to pull it off). So, instead, I tried a few different elements of "clown" paraphernalia - a seltzer bottle, balloon animals - before setting on the bike horn to tie it nicely into the fact that he's part of the lil' Rhino family of characters.

Sir Roy was formerly part of the Knights of Legion World until he recently met his end valiantly during a fight with the Red Bee. For Roy I went with a sort of heraldic shield with an Interlac "R" balanced out by a fleur de lis to suggest his nobility.

I don't know Andy S at all (he stopped posting long before I arrived here) and unfortunately there is not much in either his name or the posts he made to suggest anything to me beyond a pretty literal translation. I did find an old photomanip by Monkey Eater Lad, though, which suggested that Andy was a Karate Kid fan, so I went with a yin yang symbol inverted to form an "S," with the "235" - for which I don't know the significance - in Interlac below.

Up next: We watch some Flight of the Concords... and decide it's pretty Stoopid.

[ August 29, 2011, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, the "R" on Sir Roy's emblem has a double meaning. In addition to Roy, it also can represent that he was knighted by Rockhopper Lad in his position as heir to the throne of the Pyngwyn Colonies--Roy had previously been the Royal Inquisitor. The "R" also represents his patron, Rockhopper Lad.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.