Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Monitor Board Symbols (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Just got a glimpse of the last dozen symbol designs which included mine! *choke*

I think they are all fantastic – the design elements are genius and the look is super classy. Me personally, I'm thinking of taking up wearing a bowtie...

Thanks so much, Kid Q!

The coolest part of this project for me has been having posters that I've only rarely, if ever, posted with over the years drop by to say "Hi." Folks like yourself, Mystery Lad, Bicycle Repair Man, Invisible Brainiac... it's really been a very cool expansion of my LW experience.

Heck... we even got a visit from Doctor Mayavale (though I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing! [Shudder] )

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

So, the last couple rounds have some of the trickier ones I've tried to do - EDE, Tamper Lad, and Tromium (the hardest one yet - I just couldn't figure out a good way to do "facets" accurately reflecting light. It still came out pretty good, I think, but it's not entirely accurate. Reading between the lines: if you are holding your breath to see a symbol for your all time favorite character, Gladys the Senient Disco Ball... you've got a looooooooooong wait. [Wink] )

In any case, I though it was time for a bit of a breather round with some more basic designs. Let's take a walk on the wild side, as we go for another all-animal themed round with: Raging Bull, Timber Wolf, and White Raven:

-
 -
 -

For Raging Bull, I went back to same style I used for Ram Boy, 'lil Rhino, and the original Rockhopper Lad symbol, the sort of "enhanced silhouette" of an animal head. Alphabetically, he actually comes right before Ram Boy, so in the group shots the two differently shaped horned heads will look really nice together.

Timber Wolf is a direct LSH lift, the more modern logo as opposed to the earlier one used by Lone Wolf Legionnaire. TW on Legion World is not the same character as the LSH TW, but rather Dev-Em's shape changing brother, Lon. He has most recently been primarily in his humanoid form, but was long seen in his more feral shape as "Furball".

White Raven is another poster that I've never "met," but I am a very big fan of the Micro-Heroes she's made for the LMB characters. The logo used here is not my design, but rather one that was designed by Monkey Eater Lad for a White Raven photomanipulation that she really liked.

Next up: Shall... we... play... a... game?

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Exnihil

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Aw, heck... don't hate the game either. These next three Legion Worlders certainly don't... as it's time to meet three folks who I encounter on Legion World most often in the Spaceopoly forum: Kenaustin, Korbal, and Xben:

-
 -
 -

Korbal, a fellow that I never want to go up against in a high-stakes Legion trivia contest, takes his name from the Lightning Planet where the Ranzzes got zapped. I didn't want to use an image of the Lightning Beasts - because, quite frankly, they're pretty goofy looking - so instead I went a bit more suggestive, using a globe that encloses electricity, one of those plasma lightning balls that you see in Spenser's. I usually give these symbols a once over with the Blur tool to smooth them out to look more like a plaque, but I intentionally skipped that on the electricity component here to try to make the arcs look a bit more raw. As a nice coincidence, I think the center rod portion also sort of suggests the Duralim wand that brought Lighning Lad back to life.

Xben, in real life, is a missionary, so I started his symbol as the Chi-Rho symbol (as the Chi portion would nicely suggest the "X" of his name) but then, afterward, I read the origin of his name. Apparently, it was a college in-joke where "Xben" was a superhero with the mutant ability to teleport grains of sand into the eyes of opponents. That would totally be a handy thing to have in a fight! So I combined the two ideas, replacing the top of the "Rho" with a nicely concentric eye which resembles a target.

Kenaustin (short for ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol, from the Thomas Covenant fantasy books) is actually my longest-term message board buddy. We "met" on my very first day on the DCMBs and, when I started getting frustrated with their moderation and lack of community, it was Ken that said, "You know... I think I know a place where you'd be much happier." He was totally right. [Smile] Over the years, I've run several large scale internet games, and Ken has been a participant in every one of them. But lest I give the impression that he only enjoys playing games, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Ken also designed a totally cool Legion/Magic the Gathering hybrid, for which his symbol here is a reference. Ken's work can be found HERE

Next up: It seems like I just did a group shot, but I've actually posted 21 new symbols since then! We're up to 112, so I'm going to do a few touch-ups, then a group shot, then wrap up with the final 30 or so.

--------------------

Exnihil

OK, group shot time.

In addition to all the new ones, I also made the following changes:

- Knocked out the background circle in Kid Flash 2 Fan
- Rescaled Lightning Lad (I don't know how that got messed up last time)
- Did Jim Gallagher's over from scratch - much happier with this one now

As I mentioned, I probably am going to do about 30 more yet, but since Shining Son was asking about it, below the pics is a quick Who's Who guide to the ones so far:

-
 -

Who's Who -

1. Actor Lad, Arachne, Arm Fall Off Boy, Arms Fall Off Boy, Awkward Pause Boy, Beagle Boy (Beagz), Bicycle Repair Man, Blacula

2. Blockade Boy, Blue Battler, Caliente, Chaim Mattis Keller, C. J. Taylor (Enigma), Cleome, Cobalt Kid, Crymsun

3. Dedman, Dev-Em, Director Lad, Doctor One, Drake B 3004, Eryk Davis Ester, Everyday Girl, Exnihil

4. Fanfic Lady, Fat Cramer, Ferro Boy, Frio, Future, Future King, Ghost of Numf-El, Giant Robotic Lesbian

5. Gigglebot Girl, Harbinger, He Who Wanders (LSHes), Hot Chick, Icefire, Invisible Brainiac, Jerry, Jim Gallagher

6. Karie, Kenaustin, Kent Shakespeare, Kid Charlemagne, Kid Flash 2 Fan, Kid Marvel, Kid Prime, Kid Quislet

7. Korbal, Krypton Kid, the Labradorian, Lad Boy, Lance's Realm, Lard Lad, Lash Lad (MLASH), Legion Tracker

8. Lightning Lad, lil' Rhino, Lone Wolf Legionnaire, Lucien Lad (Bevis), Malvolio, Matlock, Matthew E, Mattropolis

9. Minesurfer, Monkey Eater Lad, Mystery Lad, My Whee Fem, Nightcrawler, Novelty, Polar Boy, Portfolio Boy

10. Poverty Lad (Pov), Power Boy, Professor H-0011 (profh0011), Quislet Esq., Raging Bull, Ram Boy, Reboot, Red Arrow (Emily Sivana)

11. Red Bee, Rickshaw, Rockhopper Lad, Rouge (Dave Hackett), R2VU2 (Count Vudoo), Sam Pureheart, Sarcasm Kid, Saturn Girl

12. Semi-Transparent Fellow, Set, Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass (Candlelight), Shark Lad, Sketch Lad, Sonnie, Spellbinder (Princess Crujectra), Star Boy

13. STU (Iron Rat), Suddenly Seymour, Superboy MDD Jr., Tamper Lad, Tempest, Thriftshop Debutante, Timber Wolf, Time Teller Lad

14. Tromium, Ultra Jorge, Ultra Matt (the Boy with Ultra Powers), Varalent (Vee), Walk With Crowds, White Raven, Xben, Zardi - The Eternal Man.

So, next up: The Many Loves of Cobie Gillis

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Love Xben's.
It looks like a smiley face doll with her arms resting on the top of her head, to me!

So impressive as a set, too!

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Ex, I've been waiting around to see your Legion Tracker design, and just now found it in the group shot! After looking around I discovered you unveiled it over a month ago. Duh...I've been checking this thread every day and admiring your work. How could I have missed it???

Sorry about that, but hey, I really LIKE the design! It's not like anything I imagined you'd do, but it makes perfect sense and looks great too. I've always been a fan of the compass rose design. Thanks!

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Thanks, LT, glad you liked it!

My original idea for yours was a sort of detective-y thing with a magnifying glass over a set of footprints, but when I started putting together the one for Matlock, I saw how dull the the logo for the "Matlock" TV show was, so I co-opted the glass premise for his. That left me with just the footprints for yours, but that seemed a bit too on-the-nose. The next logical step was the compass, and I'm glad I went that direction, because I think the "Dawnstar" connection worked out really well.

Tonight, I was going to try to do the great loves of Cobalt Kid.

Wait... that didn't sound right... I was going to try to tackle them.

Nope... even worse.

Suffice it to say... Cobie's gals were supposed to be tonight's theme. But somewhere between work and home, the martini bar distracted me, and now I really don't think I'm in the right state of mind to be drawing up things for girls that have "Tart" and "Jailbait" in their names, so I think they'll have to wait for the weekend.

By way of consolation, though, I realized that I posted a new logo for Jim Gallagher last night without giving it the larger display that I had done for earlier full revisions such as Nightcrawler and Future King, so... because I don't have any new ones prepped, let's rectify that now.

Before:
 -

After:
 -

Each goes with the sculpture idea - with a block, a hammer, and a chisel coming together to form the vague shape of a "G" - but the latter one takes the first basic pass and refines it with the block now actually being carved into an Interlac "G," as well as the hammer and chisel being closer in shape to actual sculpting tools as opposed to just things you find in a toolbox. I could probably make it better by shifting the hammer and chisel a little to the right, and by making less of a sharp separation between the carved and uncarved bits of the block, but I think, for now, it'll do. Probably in the final group shot, I'll touch it up again.

[ August 24, 2011, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
You keyboard/type remarkably well for someone who's had a martini or two.
[Yes]

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Well... I had had something to eat afterward... olives on a toothpick, admittedly... but, still. [Wink]

--------------------

kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh man....thanks Ex!! I like it. I like it a lot. Dude, I really don't think you know how very talented you are.

Thanks again!

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Well... I had had something to eat afterward... olives on a toothpick, admittedly... but, still. [Wink]

[Smile]

--------------------

Come, join me!

Exnihil

Now it's time to look at a few of the many gals who have been... um... "mentored"... by our own Cobalt Kid. Let's meet his two wives, and his great love: High Priestess Viviane, Jailbait Lass, and Space Tart:

-
 -
 -

Although I'm sure her Facebook status reads "It's Complicated", it seems clear to me that Lolita (AKA Jailbait Lass) and Cobie are destined to find true love. Her logo here is a pair of handcuffs opened at the bottom to suggest a "J" and an "L". I also tried to angle the base of the cuffs at the same angle as the earlier logos of Everyday Girl and My Whee Fem, to show the affinity between that trio.

Although Viviane appears to have vanished along with all her Avalonian sisters, her role in LMB in history, particularly the events around he marriage to Cobalt (his second time at the altar) are far too important not to include her in this project. Her logo here is the crown, and lunar forehead tattoo, from an earlier design by Kid Marvel (itself drawn from the source character from The Mists of Avalon as portrayed by Angelica Huston)

For Cobie's first wife, Space Tart, I tried a wide variety of designs, but kept wavering on their "family-friendly" nature. Eventually, I decided to keep it a bit classier, with a sexy pair of legs in stiletto heels, kicked up to suggest a "T". The other, earlier designs, I moved to my private files for later use I just deleted.

Up next: Piiiiiiiiiigs... iiiiiiiiiiin... SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

--------------------

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Exy, you are incredible!
Besos!!

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Awww... g'wan Rhino, you're making me blush. [Smile]

So, our next two additions are two intergalactic lawmen who served on opposite sides of the fence: Lonestar Ranger and Space Ranger.

-
 -

The integalactic lawman, Space Ranger, is the adopted brother of Abin Quank, and about as true blue as they come, fighting a never ending battle for Truth and Justice. Lonestar Ranger, on the other hand, although he served in the same enforement capacity - but on the side of longtime LMB enemies The Dark Oval - was an opportunist type who ultimately met his end at the hands of Frio (though he has gotten slightly better since... reanimated as a zombie).

For each of their symbols I used the same source - the 1950's televison show, "Rocky Jones, Space Ranger". Even apart from the name, I thought the retro-futuristic style would be perfect for this pair.

Space Ranger's logo is a minimalistic take on the insignia that the TV Rangers wore on their hats (in the TV version they threw everything in but the kitchen sink: a rocket ship, in front of a planet, with rings, over which wings were attached, upon which the words "Space Ranger" were emblazoned - sheesh!) Here I boiled it down, reducing the scale of the planet, making the ring concentric (to keep it unique from Saturn Girl's logo), and increasing both the scale and level of detail of the rocketship.

For Lonestar Ranger, I went with a modified version of the TV Rangers chest logo, which was a moon through which a triangle had been described. Looking at it, it occured to me that eliminating the right bar of the triangle would create an "L", perfect for the Lonestars. It's not an Interlac "L", true, but who says they use Interlac in Dark Oval space? Additionally, I scaled down the moon to be the same size as the planet in the Space Ranger symbol, to suggest two sides of the same coin.

Up next: So that's what L.O.L. stands for!

--------------------

Exnihil

Stop rolling on the floor, it's time to meet three more Legion Worlders, one beginning with an L, one beginning with an O, and... well... OK, two beginning with an L:

l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN, Loser Lad, and Omni Craig:

-
 -
 -

Contrary to John's name, his character has nothing to do with the 21st century cohorts of Vril Dox. The "l.e.g.i.o.n." instead refers to his ability to create independent replicates of himself (ala Duplicate Damsel). Nevertheless, I'm further obfuscating the matter here by using the L.E.G.I.O.N. symbol as his base, replacing the fist with the Interlac J (which is annoyingly asymmetrical to work with, so I reshaped it a bit to balance it.) I know that's sort of counterintuitive, but I thought the shape itself actually was suggestive of his powers, with the letter branching off in different directions.

Loser Lad is pretty straight forward. He taps into his "Loser Power" to sap his opponents' confidence, motivation and luck. He uses the finger and thumb on the forehead in his avatar, but the original drawing (by Freekinos) actually has the hand sign reversed - which I think is far funnier - so that's what I did a version of here.

When I researched OmniCraig, it said that he took his name from the fact that he has a large ego - i.e. "All-Craig". That's not really a concept that translates well symbolically, so I tried to approach it sideways... something that is both self-referential and infinite. I experimented a bit with some recursive shapes, like Mobius bands or the "Infinite" symbol, but the variation in depth on a single level required additional shading beyond that which occurs in the beveling and embossing. Since I didn't do that for any of the others I thought that would be "cheating" if I used it for Craig's. So I wound up going with a more 2-D version of that same concept and using a spiral. After I did it, I was like, "Hey... that looks like a bunch of C's coming together to make an O, nice coincidence."

Next Up: The LMB roams if they want to... they roam around the world.

[ August 24, 2011, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.