Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Monitor Board Symbols (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Actually, the "R" on Sir Roy's emblem has a double meaning. In addition to Roy, it also can represent that he was knighted by Rockhopper Lad in his position as heir to the throne of the Pyngwyn Colonies--Roy had previously been the Royal Inquisitor. The "R" also represents his patron, Rockhopper Lad.

Very cool! That's what, back in the day, Bob Ross used to call, "a happy little accident". [Smile]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

It's time to pay another visit to the Family Quank as we meet:

Gary Concord and Stoopid Cat:

-
 -

As I noted on the last page, I wasn't that familiar with Gary's story, but Abin was kind enough to fill me in. Gary Concord is actually a parallel world version of Cobalt Kid whose version of the LMB has been destroyed by that world's version of Nightcrawler (called the Day Walker). This world is separated from Legion World by a realm called the Banned 'Em Zone, the gate to which is accessible via a system of tesseracts. A couple years back, Gary made the decision to remain in the Banned 'Em Zone to perpetually defend this gate against the Day Walker's assault. He remains there today. The symbol I chose for Gary works, I think, on several levels. As a tesseract, primarily it reflects Gary's current fate. At the same time, however, it also acts as a counterpoint to Cobie's own symbol - the outward projected rings. Cobie's is round - Gary's is straight; Cobie's is projecting outward, Gary's inward. I think the two are a very good reflection of one another.

Stoopid Cat was the former familiar of the late mage Pagan Lass. I'm not entirely familiar with SC, but I do know that he, along with Pagan Lass and STU, originated in Pre-Egyptian times and is extremely long lived. At one point, Stoopid Cat actually rose to the ranks of LMB deputy co-leader! For his symbol, I had no hesitation... it had to be the Cheshire Cat. This is to reflect the fact that he is, certainly, in reality, far from "stupid", but more likely operating on a level of logic foreign to most that he interacts with, but also, and more importantly, to reflect his strong connection to a woman named Alice.

Up next: The DOC is in.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
Fantastic! You nailed Stoopid Cat & Gary Concord! Fabulous! Just Fabulous!

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the tessaract thingie for Gary Concord! Very cool!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

OK, back from story writing hiatus.

As I mentioned in the hint before the break, it's time to see the DOC...

That is to say, three LMBers beginning respectively with D, O, and C (What? Were you expecting someone else? [Wink] :

Double Chinner, Outdoor Miner, and Clive (AKA Virgin Lad)

-
 -
 -

Let me tell you... I had a dickens of a time with Double Chinner. I probably tried more designs with his than with anyone else's. Even though he uses a Bouncing Boy avatar, I really didn't want to go with a fat joke. I tried of doing a variation on Double-Header; using an image of the Roman God Janus; using one of those optical illusions where you see one face, then a different one; using a sort of Picasso thing where half a face is facing forward overlapped by another in profile. Then one night, I was drinking wine with my wife and she said "cin cin" to toast - which is pronounced, "chin chin" - and I thought, "Hmmm... haven't tried that." So, basically, what you are looking at here is a figure/ground illusion where the stem of each glass has two faces coming together at the chin, then the glasses themselves are toasting as a reference to "cin cin". I guess technically that's six chins altogether... but, seriously... I ain't doing this one again! [LOL]

"Outdoor Miner" is apparently a song by the band Wire about serpentine leaf miners - these larva that burrow though leaves, creating these totally cool maze like patterns (do a search... it's pretty cool). Though I don't know for certain, I can only imagine this reference was very much intended by our Outdoor Miner, as that basically is what his avatar Gates is - a bug that burrows through space. His symbol here is pretty straight forward, one of those serpentine mazes made atop an Interlac O.

Virgin Lad was "Clive"... a Lardbot who achieved his own independent sentience and resided on Legion World for a while. He was the co-deputy leader of the LMB when I first joined here and was the head of the Legion World Department of Moral Purity. He met his end during the LMB case called "The Thyme Crime". His symbol here is a variation on the standard "Man" symbol that I earlier used for Arm Fall Off Boy and Arms Fall Off Boy, but obviously tweaked such that Clive can protect his... um... honor.

Up next: Oh, all right... since this time the DOC was in... next time the DOC is out... waaaaaaaaay out.

--------------------

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL] love that design of Doublechinner - no need to explain, I can see how you go with it! and heh Clive, it makes me chuckle, too!!! [LOL]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Now... a symbol for a dear, dear friend of the LMB:

-

I'm sorry... I'm overcome with emotion... I feel that any explanation would only betray this moment.

Next up: Should auld acquaintance be forgot...

--------------------

Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
*choke* It... it's beautiful, Ex.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Two thumbs up!!!

[LOL]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
 -

Thank you so much for including me! I know I'm not around much, but you're all in my thoughts, always [Love]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Yay Spellbinder stopped by!!!
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Thanks, Spellbinder! It's pretty coincidental that you should pop by just before this next wave which actually includes your twin brother. [Smile]

It's time to meet a few members of the LMB leadership ranks from bygone days, as up next are the symbols for:

The Crusader, Freekinos, Grey Birdboy, Omega Man, and Seahorse:

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

As mentioned above, Crusader is Spellbinder's twin, Mykel Jectra of Psyonia, who was the LMB Year 2 Deputy under Loser Lad, only to be elected leader himself the following term. The next leader, at the beginning of Year 3, was Seahorse (formerly BellBookCandle). Both of the above symbols were designed by Cru, though they've been touched up a bit for this format.

Our other three past leaders each served as deputies during Year 4. First Omega Man (who was later turned into France by Turns-You-Into-A-Country-Fred!), then Grey Birdboy (a Starhavenite who still soars on the starwinds; a more passionate pteraphile you are not likely to meet), and finally, Freekinos (a warrior/artist who, along with Sketch Lad and Kid Marvel, produced some of the most enduring LMB portraits ever). Omega Man's is a fairly self evident symbol, following an earlier Greek symbol I used for Harbinger; Grey's is a combination of a nice wing design I found, along with his character's headband starburst, and Freekinos (sometimes Freek'd Kid), following an earlier design by Kid Marvel, uses an Interlac-ed version of the logo for the cartoon character, Freakazoid.

Up next: Hall of Heroes (Part I)

--------------------

Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Go, Ex, go! What a great set of additions for some historical LMBers.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
sigh
Just a huge, huge smile.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Just a [Bump] for the next page...

--------------------

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.