Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Museum of Legion Arts: The Mythic Menagerie

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Museum of Legion Arts: The Mythic Menagerie
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
May means it's time to gather all your myths, legends, gods and godesses together and remix your favorite Legionnaires in new heavenly roles.

We love brand new submissions (stories, poems, prose, novels, paintings, drawings, photomanips, action figures, statues, busts, micros, etchings, etc.) but we certainly want your existing work posted in the galleries too! Come join us all month long starting on the 1st for the shindig!

Please go here to vote for the next gallery:
Click here to vote!

Check out past galleries:
Emerald Exhibit
Mon-El's Zone
Cockrum Hall
Holiday Hall of Art
Legion on the Run Wing
A 70s Legion Retrospective
The Servants of Darkness Exhibition
The Shrinking Violet and Atom Girl Gallery
30th Century Magic & Fantasy Exhibition
Wings of Wildfire
Legion of Supporting Characters Wing
The Selected Works of Sun Boy
The Golden Age Legion Gallery
The LSH + LMB Collection
The Power Team Up Exhibit
The Persuader Gallery
Andromeda & Shadow Lass/Umbra: A Retrospective
The ProFem/ProDude ProWing
The Back To School Collection
The Swimsuit Collection
The Royal Wing of Princess Projectra
The L Word Wing (Leeta 87 & The Lallorians)
The Hate Face / Love Karate Kid Wing
The Gallery of the Legion of Super-Villains
The Chemical King and White Witch Wing
Cupid's Wing - The Couples Gallery
The WaK Wing - On Deck Circle
The Post-Boot Original Legionnaires Wing
The Halloween Gallery
The Gim Gallery
The Substitute-Heroes Collection
The Founders' Wing
The Wing Wing
The Timberwolf Wing
The Luornu Durgo Collection
The Mano Wing

- The Curatorial Staff of the Museum of Legion Arts

From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Where's all the myth work!?! Everyone and their space mother was chompin' at the bit to have Legion myths and now there's nary a creative piece here! For shame! Anyways, here's one doodle and two manips to get the ball rolling...
Fire Lad as Hephaestus:
 -

Dream Girl as Aphrodite:
 -

Lightning Lad as Zeus:
 -

From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
An American legend ...

Big Gim Bunyon showed up here at the logging camp back in '98. He was right mysterious at first, talked a bit odd and wouldn't say where home was. But we were happy to have him. Big? He was 12 foot tall and that's the truth. And strong! He could fell and limb a tree by the time other men had sharpened their axes.

If that wasn't strange enough, he brought a special kind of ox with him. This one was blue! Gim called him a Durlan - that's not a breed known around these parts - and said his name was Babe. Strange name for an ox! Now sometimes I heard him call that ox Yera, which I guess must have been the word for Babe back where he came from. One of the boys told me he seen this Babe change into a beautiful woman at night, but I reckon he'd been drinking at the time.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Great retelling of an American legend, FC!
[Cheers]

And I love those pics MEL!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
WHY JIMMY OLSEN MUST DIE!

One day in an orchard on the outskirts of the city/state of Metropolis, nestled in the foothills that include fabled Mount Olympos, young Jimmy Olsen decided he would capture the image of a perfect tree. He found his subject, waited till Helios lit it perfectly, focused on the angle he wanted... and broght down his hammer on the chisel he'd lugged from the Academy, along with a marble tile he'd strapped to the orneriest donkey in Greece. Soon, he prayed to the muses, he'd add his frieze-tile to the Daily Planetarium as an advertisement to lure patrons.

After a few minutes of inspired chiseling, Jimmy took a break. Idly, he picked up a stray apple that had rolled from the very tree he was using as model. Jimmy didn't notice the unusual gold shade of the fruit, but he did raise his eyebrows in surprise at the deliciousness of the apple... at the taste and quantity of juice that filled his mouth and ran down his chin, eventually joining similar trails that spotted one of Jimmy's trademarks-- the piece of cloth he tied in a funny knot around his neck. It didn't go very well with an apprentice's tunic, but it sure got him noticed.

Which isn't *always* a good thing, though sometimes when a bad thing, it starts out wearing the good thing's face.

Case in point...

"Jimmmmyyyyy", a sing-song voice from a dream broke into his apple-induced reverie.

"Jimmmyyy OOOOOlssssson!" a second voice added his last name, this one a deeper alto with the feel of stone in it.

"Jimmmyyyy, will you do us a favor?" a third voice chimed in, this one throaty and scratchy and a bit cacaphonous.

Jimmy turned slowly. He recognized the tone in that last question- which wasn't really a question at all, but a command. He'd heard it often enough from the sisters who lived down the Lane.

Three beautiful maidens faced him, looking like works of art come to life. They were goddesses... obviously. Lit from within. A little voice in the back of his head told him to be careful... very careful. But he couldn't help plastering his most charming grin on his face and adopting a bit of swagger.

"I'd be glad to help you, ladies..."

One of the three grew a foot or two. "Ladies!?" she repeated disdainfully. "Don't pretend you don't recognize us, Jimmy Olsen. In fact, pretending in any form will not stand you in good stead with US!" she said with a predatory snarl. It was the goddess with the wild, scratchy voice.

"Honey, not vinegar, sister," the well-modulated alto voice insinuated.

"Pay her no mind, Jimmy. She didn't have a chance, anyway."

Jimmy looked confused. "Our task for you is a simple one," the silvery, high-pitched voice broke with the sound of bells. "We have a wager between us. One we've decided can only be judged by a human with an eye for... beauty." She pulled the skirt of her gown with a sweeping flourish at the last word, casting her eyes down upon herself.

"I have as much chance as you, you slut," the wild-voiced one snarled. "So, mortal, who'll it be?"

"Who?" Jimmy stammered. He knew what they were asking, but stalled for time.

"Choose, Jimmy Olsen." The alto voice commanded reasonably. But commanded. "Who in this orchard is most beautiful?"

The wild-voiced goddess stood confidently, her arms crossed over her chest. Her black hair was cut close to her scalp, like a boy's. Her pale, green eyes-- the green of a forest glade in sunlight-- blazed. She towered over the other goddesses. Jimmy saw her look at her rivals out of the corners of her eyes... somehow she shrunk in on herself until she was an even height with the other goddesses. Scowling, she shrunk a bit more, then shook her head and wiggled her upper torse, making her breasts shake back and forth. She wore a caricature of a seductive smile. "Choose," she echoed.

The silvery-voiced one laughed, earning a fierce growl from Artimsk, goddess of the hunt and eternal virgin. Her short tunic bared her legs, which were scratched and bruised. A silver belt cinched her waist. The ornate buckle showed a stag's head against the background of a crescent moon. A simple bow was tied to her back.

"Choose," commanded the clear alto voice of reason. Imra Athena, goddess of wisdom and war stood at ease. Her only alteration in stance or carriage was the raising of one eyebrow and the slight hint of a smile as she cooly regarded Jimmy. Her blonde hair was was pulled back in the style of an Amazon, but was otherwise unadorned. She wore a simple female scholar's tunic, but with the addition of a sword attached to her belt and a shield strapped to her back. A grey owl clutched the edge of that shield. It slept, and snored a bit.

Representations of the ringed planet dangled from her earlobes. She wore no other jewelry.

"Choose," the final goddess sighed in her silvery voice. Nuradite, goddess of love and beauty, struck a pose. A slight wind rippled her gauzy, white metallic gown and the soft waves of her silver/gold hair. A star twinkled upon her cheek.

Clearly, *she* thought she was the winner.

So did the tightness in the lower portions of his tunic.

Imra Athena frowned. "None of that, sister," she directed to Nuradite. The silver goddess pouted.

The tightness immediately eased. That had been her 'work'! Jimmy flushed. The consequences of his decision began to occur to him. Offending goddesses of the hunt, wisdom and love could damage his career! His prospects for marriage, not to mention his sex life! Being 'struck dumb' didn't hold any appeal, either. That's if he left the orchard alive!

What would he do?

He regarded the three goddesses. Each was supremely beautiful in their own way. Different men... or women... would choose according to their nature. Most would choose Nuradite, at least if they chose without consideration.

Jimmy's heart began to race. He looked down at the small sundial he wore strapped to his wrist. It was a toy, really, but it did help him keep track of time. If only he could twist the dial and summon a magical being to come to his rescue!

But the dial didn't twist, and no hero was in the vicinity.

For some reason he found himself looking at the one face that didn't try to sway him into a decision. He relaxed in the calm regard with which that face met his scrutiny. Some muse or other struck the chisel of his mind with her hammer.

He bent to pick up the marble tile he'd dropped. He turned the side clean of any chisel marks to face the goddesses.

"The most beautiful one in this orchard is she who would be inscribed here, honored goddesses. As divinely lovely as each of you are, you cannot be lovelier than she who I've not yet seen... but who I've imagined."

He bowed, then kneeled. He thought about going all the way with his head-to-the-floor, but decided that was taking things too far.

"Bah! He cheats!" Artimsk scoffed. She pulled her bow from it's holster. Nuradite cooly considered him, her eyes narrowed in an uncharacteristic squint. Imra Athena smiled. "He answered the question I posed, sisters. No blame can fall to him, but to my choice in words. And since he's chosen, we can not ask him to choose again."

"It was a stupid game, anyway." Artimsk leaped and then ran into the orchard. The wind of her passing felled several small trees. Her voice carried back to the glade. "We'll meet again, mortal. You won't be so lucky, then!"

Nuradite stepped close, dangerously close to Jimmy. "So we will. I know you would've chosen me, Jimmy," she whispered. His eyes were trapped to her suddenly bared bosom. "But since you didn't, you'll have to be content with who you *did* choose..." she gestured and glints of silver stardust settled about him. "I hope you and your stone tablet are happy together." With that she flicked the trail of her skirt and disappeared.

Imra Athena's voice sounded in Jimmy's mind. She smiled her mysterious, crooked little smile at him.

"Well played, young Olsen," the goddess 'said'. "Nuradite'll get over it. Make her a fitting sacrifice in a year or two and I'm sure she'll lift her curse. Artimsk, though, she's a more difficult case. I'm afraid you may have to die to appease that one. In some suitably heroic and grand way, I'm sure. Don't be too upset. She's remarkably patient. She once stalked an immortal stag for three centuries. She waited two of those centuries on a platform built in a tree! Never came down. So, I'm sure you'll have a nice, long life-- once Nuradite's curse is lifted. By the way, I'd keep anything stone a good distance from your bed till that happens. As for you eventual death--- well, that's the lot of mortals, isn't it? Don't spend too much time worrying about it."

Jimmy Olsen looked about him. The goddesses were gone. Their beauty but a dim memory that hung upon the air. The golden apple was shriveled into a bruised, brown husk. The perfect tree was now split in two, half its branches hung in disarray. His marble tablet was cracked through. It wouldn't be a suitable medium for his advertisement now.

He tugged at the silly bit of cloth at his neck. The knot came loose and he pulled it off. Sometimes, it truly didn't pay to be noticed.

As he trudged back to his room in the Academy in Metropolis, Imra Athena's voice entered his mind once more. "But sometimes it does, even when it doesn't," the alto laughed. Telepathic laughter is quite an unsettling thing.

"Go to the Daily Planetarium and ask for Brainiac Penta. Be ready to begin your new life."

So began the career of Jimmy Olsen, scribe and carver of history, notable collector of 'naughty' statuary.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Great legend and story FC and ML! Here's another Grecian Legionnaire - Wildfire as Ares, god of war n'stuff!
 -

Seth Gaterra
Last Son of Angtu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seth Gaterra   Email Seth Gaterra         Edit/Delete Post     
(OOC: This, for the most part, is my own creation for a Durlan theology. The only part from LSH canon concerning the actual gods of Durla was that Durggle's name was invoked once, in "Secrets of the Legion of Super-Heroes" #3.)

Reep bowed his head; his sleeves flared out and then retracted to half their length as his arms flowed back into the clusters of nine graspers on each side. Then Reep's graspers began to weave and intertwine in an almost hypnotic pattern. As he spoke in Interlac, his graspers told the story in the Durlan signs...

"In the Beginning was The One. And The One looked upon the Void that surrounded The One, and did decide that there should be more than the Void. And thus did The One will time and space to be. But when The One had done this, not all the Void was filled. And from the other side of that Void did come a new voice. And the voice cried out in anger, 'What have you done? The Void was mine -- I did not want these things to fill the Void! And I will not have them fill the Void!' It was Entropy that had spoken; Entropy that waits to consume all that was, and is, and will be. And The One spoke unto Entropy, saying 'I have willed what I have willed... and you will not destroy what I have willed!'"

"So The One fought against Entropy -- but then The One did look upon time and space, and saw that their battle would destroy all The One had willed. And The One did see that without Entropy, time would be still and space would be stagnant and nothing new could ever be. For Entropy's power was woven through the Void, and time and space did touch the Void. Thus did The One and Entropy part, and The One did return to the center of time and space. And Entropy did return to beyond the Void. But they both watch over us; The One to guard against the Void's return, and Entropy to tempt life into destroying what is, to make it Void again."

"The One then looked down into space and saw life there. And The One did see that the mortals could not understand The One, for The One was too great for them to comprehend. And thus did The One will again, that there be gods that mortals could understand, and that The One could speak to them through the gods, and through the gods would The One hear the mortals. And unto each world where there was life were gods given, as many as the mortals did need, whether that be one or many. And unto Durla were given seven gods and goddesses."

"And the first among the gods of Durla is the Blessed Mother, Lyntai; She who births our souls and unto Her do those who obeyed Her words return. Through all the gems, all the crystals, does She watch over us. And at Her side was Her beloved husband, the Father of Water, Voldar. And he did watch over the seas of Durla, over all the waters of Durla."

"And two gods stand to keep watch over Durla. In the night, when the Hellvoid is at its strongest, Durggle the Guardian does wait to drive back whatever Entropy may send against us. And unto us did He teach the ways to use the Mother's Gift for our defense against mortal threats. In the day His sister defends us; the Lady of Flames, Cendriya. And She does grant Her light unto Her brother, for the Hellvoid's spirits cannot prevail against the light of the sun, or the light of the flame."

"And the last three gods are a family. Plektarn, the Laughing One, He who inspires all art, all music, all that brings joy to the soul. But to those who would harm the child, or harm the one with the mind of a child -- He shall destroy those who dare such evil. And His beloved wife is Besanthe, Keeper of Wisdom. Unto her do the scribes look that She will help them preserve knowledge; from Her is the inspiration for those who seek the laws of science. And their daughter is The Healer, Mirina -- She who watches over all plants, all animals, to keep them in balance. From Her mother She calls the knowledge to heal the wounds of the body; from Her father is the gift to heal the wounds of mind and spirit."

"For under the guidance of the gods did Durla thrive, and the people lived in land and ocean in peace and contentment. But then Entropy did whisper unto some of Durla, saying unto them that the Mother's words kept them weak... that they were strong enough to rule Durla and all other worlds if they turned away from Her. And they did listen, and obey Entropy -- and these were the Warlords."

And the Warlords called forth great evils; they slew the animals and plants they thought they did not need, and covered over the good earth with metal and stone, and they looked to science to create weapons to attack life that had done nothing to them. In that dark time faith was considered a thing to be mocked, and the clerics and priests were driven out. So they went deep into Durla, to be closer to the Mother, to be safe from the Warlords. And the Warlords then fought among themselves, as each of them was determined to be the first to conquer Durla. And they did call upon the power of the Poison Flame, knowing full well that it would burn them as well... but they did not care, if it consumed the other Warlords first."

"And thus on the winter solstice, the darkest day, did the Warlords light the Poison Flame, and it burned all of Durla. And Entropy laughed that his scheme had worked, that now he could claim Durla for the Hellvoid. But as he reached out to seize the Mother, then did Voldar sacrifice Himself -- He leapt into the Hellvoid so that Entropy could not seize the Mother from the heart of Durla. And the oceans were no more, as the rest of the waters were drawn inward by the Mother to sustain Her remaining children."

"So the burden of the Warlords' sins did come upon us; it is for us to suffer for their crimes, to atone for their sins. Yet there is hope -- when our faith is strong enough, when we have finally atoned enough to balance the scales, then will the Mother reach forth into the Hellvoid and bring Her beloved husband back to Her. And on that day will the oceans return, that day the Poison Flame will no longer sicken us or harm our children in their shells, that day we shall live the lives the Mother had meant for us."

"Watch, pray, and believe." Reep bowed his head again, and shifted his graspers back into arms.

Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.